The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jon G, Woodcmiami, 55shaker, Bill Hanlon), 122 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,260
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200517 02/08/2006 4:32 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
What is the "Car No." on a 37 pickup vin plate located on the passenger side, cab, firewall? It seems to have nothing to do with the title numbers. I did check and the title numbers and they are correct according to "desiphering your chevy vin" on this and several other sites. I have spent way too much time in front of this box here lately.
I have been watching a 37 on ebay for sale and the seller did post a pic of the vin tag after I asked and he has the title vin# in his posting (#4609761974). Any help would be appericated greatly. There is only one day left and I don't need a parts truck 3 states away.

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
The data tag number of 5GC023756 sounds correct for a '37 1/2-ton. The title may show that number, or an engine number, depending on what state the truck was titled in. This is before the standardized VIN system was invented. The Ford glass deal really has me baffled. Never heard of Ford glass in a Chev. truck before, unless it had been replaced at some time.


To be long remembered as he's cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
You don't want that truck shipping will kill you grin

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
The listing shows the 5GC...# as the Vin that is on the title. But what has me confused is the VIN TAG (see the photo on the auction) it is stamped 600 02. If the paint was still on the tag, that # would be in the area that says Car No. then stamped 600 02.
That is where I get confused....If it is a VIN TAG what is that number pertaining to? It does not appear to be an engine number. I did search engine numbers for the 37's.
I am not worried on the shipping, I have a family member within blocks of the seller that would hold the truck until I drove out and trailered it back.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Also confusing about this # is that if you go by deciphering your vin it doesn't seem to be a production # either???

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
If one were to stare at the number on the tag in the photo long enough, and squint just right, I think one could say that what might look like 600 at first is really 5GC.


Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0