| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,123 Posts1,056,653 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 218 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 218 | I'm getting ready to convert a 66 Chevy over to power steering and bought a 69 chevy box and pump. The box was leaking a little at the input shaft, so being the curious type I found the seals at NAPA and took the adjusting piece out to get to the seals.
I didn't realize I could have got them out without taking this piece out, and have since found that there is an adjusting procedure . I understand some parts of it, but REALLY don't understand how a torque wrench goes on the end of the splined shaft.
Hate to sound stupid, but I need to know. :confused: | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 | What they are after is alittle pre-load on the bearings when assembling the unit. Find what ever you can that fits the splines. Any old 12 point sockets laying around? You might be able to set up a pull type scale ( fish scale ) and some vise-grips, attach the vise-grips to the shaft and pull the fish scale which is hooked to the end of the vise-grips reading the scale as you pull, if they are 12" long your scale would be pretty accurate. Don't forget, the on center preload will be tighter then the ends. On center is tight to keep it from wondering around when going straight. It should say somewhere to be off center when adjusting, then cross center to check to be sure its not to tight. Joe | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 218 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 218 | Joe, I do have a socket I could use. I was worried about damaging the splines, but for only 1-3 lbs of torque that probably wouldn't happen. I'll give it a try.
Thanks! | | |
| |
| |