The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19520 08/28/2004 2:10 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 117
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 117
What do you have to do to rebuild a distributor?
Do you just take it apart, clean and re-lube everything?


Winona
1949 3100 5 Window Deluxe Cab
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Thats basically it. Check for worn bushings.
Make shure the gear is in good condition &
fits tight on the shaft. Replace the points &
cond. & put a small amount of grease on the
cam. Better yet put in a electronic conversion
kit. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
In the shop manuel there's a description of checking and rebuilding the distributor, I think.
I think that the springs are supposed to be changed. They pull the weights back as the rpm's decrease, changing the timing as the engine slows.
You've got to make sure the weights don't bind anywhere or else they'll cause the advance/retard action the weights control to not work properly. There's also information about electrical insulation between the distributor housing and the 'lectric in the distributor.
Bushings should be changed, too.
This is why I bought a rebuilt distributor. I put it in the 216 in my '46, timed it, set the gap on the points and after figuring out that I had two plug wires crossed, the old mill starts on the first revolution and runs better than it ever has since I've gotten the truck three years ago!
The rebuilt distibutor came with new points and condenser and the grease cup was full!
I changed the distributor because I couldn't tune the engine well enough to provide easy starting. I knew the bushings were worn as the distibutor shaft had a lot of side to side play which changes the dwell. It had been so long since someone tightened the grease cup cap to lube the distributor shaft, the cap was frozen to the cup!
Jacques


Union, Justice and Confidence
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I, too, bought a rebuilt. The shaft on mine was worn and needed a new bushing. Cost 5 years ago was $25, think they're up to about $40 now.

If you're installing an ignition module, the shaft needs to be checked. If it's loose, you will destroy the module.

If you go to rebuild one yourself, to disassemble it you need to remove the plate, then drive out a pin that retains the drive gear.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 117
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 117
Thank guys. I ahve a "spare" I'll practice on, then if I mess up I can discard the failure.


Winona
1949 3100 5 Window Deluxe Cab

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0