The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (66flea, Chris's 46 / 515, TUTS 59), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,091
Posts1,056,445
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19511 10/07/2003 5:27 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 49
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 49
Greetings! I'm replacing the 216 in my '41 Chevy half ton with a 235 out of a '59 Chevy Impala. The exhaust manifold on the 235 angles toward the steering column and box whereas the 216's dropped straight down. I've also noticed that the ports on the 235 are larger than the 216's manifold, even though it looks like the 216's manifold will bolt onto it. So what do I do? Is there another type of manifold that I can use? Should I have a custom exhaust system built? In other words, HELP!

Thanks in advance.


Charlie

Rustzilla, '41 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
You will have to have the exhaust redone. I don't know of any straight dump 235 manifolds. You don't want to run a 216 manifold because it is too small. You should be able to cut the elbow out of your current setup, attach it to the new manifold, and clamp a new piece between the two old sections.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 49
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 49
Thanks 4onthefloor! I assume that the local muffler shop can do that kind of work?


Charlie

Rustzilla, '41 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
That's what they do best.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
If you want to use your 216 set up it will work fine. I have done this many times. I just make adaptor rings and tap them into the head to shim down the size for the 216 alignment rings. I have a long hill I test engines on and a 235 with the smaller 216 setup seems to make very little difference. 1941-49 big truck splash 235's used a 216 setup stock.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0