The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Steelonsteel, GRNHydra, WICruiser, 51sub, Wally / Montana, 55shaker, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 123 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,141
Posts1,056,471
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#193924 11/20/2005 2:47 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Hello guys, I have a "68 1 ton 4x4 that we took the gas engine out and put in a International 6-cylinder turbo charged diesel engine. I have a Brownie box model 5531A that has a .73 overdrive and I'm looking for a .81 overdrive. Does anybody want to trade gears/boxes or sell a set of .81 OD gears?

Please email me if your able to help
[email protected]
Thanks for your time
Mike

#193925 11/20/2005 5:39 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 37
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 37
Do you mean the Spicer 5831A? 1.54/1.0/0.73

I've never heard of the 5531A, Google turned up nothing.


1969 GMC K/2500 (w.i.p.)
#193926 11/20/2005 6:45 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Davethorik, thanks for the reply. Here is a picture of the brownie and ID plate. I highlighted the model number. Serial number is below and low ratio is to the right 1.52-1.

Thanks again

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32223424930.jpg&s=x12
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/31013484375.jpg&s=x11

#193927 11/20/2005 11:04 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 37
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 37
Well thank you, I just learned about a new Brownie I've never heard of before.

Looks to be physically larger than the 5831.

Sorry I didn't help at all.


1969 GMC K/2500 (w.i.p.)
#193928 11/20/2005 3:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 146
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 146
hahaha i could tell you were in california by the lucern milk crate in the background of the pic. and the ductal pipe just screams hard labor, which i hate doing......sorry. just had to mention that :p

#193929 11/20/2005 10:30 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I couldn't take my eyes off the PTO winch. That's quite a find.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#193930 11/21/2005 6:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
OldSub, I bought the winch for scrap price $20. And he insisted on cutting it out himself. I'm going to mount it on the back to match the smaller mechanical winch on the front.

#193931 11/21/2005 8:51 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Mike Mc,

What would that brownie have been installed on? Where would I look for an item like that?


Stuart

#193932 11/21/2005 9:02 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
i'm kinda confused on the tranny so from what i read that tranny is a 3 speed and 1st gear is 1.52:1? same goes for the other one with the 1.54:1 forgive me if i'm reading that wrong but if i am right wouldn't you need some extremly short gears to run that trans?
Nate


Link to my photobucket for pics of my vehicles
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/OldIronChevy/
#193933 11/21/2005 9:16 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Nate,

The item in question is a auxiliary transmission, know as a brownie or splitter. It mounts in back of the main transmission. It allows the operator to split each main gear by as many times as the brownie has gears! Take another look at the picture..you can see the input and output configuration plus the remains of some mounting brackets.

Stuart

#193934 11/22/2005 5:26 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
atomarc, I found the brownie in a '50 1 1/2 ton chevy dump truck.

Old Iron, I'm wanting the use the direct and over drive. I will only need under drive to get me going when loaded. My transmission has a 900rpm drop when shifting. The brownie .73 is a 650rpm drop and the .81 is a 450rpm drop. If I had the .81 OD gear it would split each gear right down the middle.

I guy told me the OD gears can be switched for a different ratio. Hopefully I have that option.

You guys want to C some pics of my truck? It's kinda ugly.

#193935 11/22/2005 5:41 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Mike,

Are you going to use this box or is it in the "out" basket?


Stuart

#193936 11/22/2005 7:59 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
atomarc, I would like to use the brownie box to split the transmission. I also have my eye open for a 13 speed trany or a old Mack 15 speed twin stick. The diesel in the truck is only a 140HP so I'm wanting more than a 5 speed. Also it would be fun to have a brownie or twin stick.
Mike

#193937 11/22/2005 3:31 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Mike,

If you find an extra brownie laying around, I would be interested. smile


Stuart

#193938 11/22/2005 8:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
ya i wasn't really paying much attention cause after i posted it i seen the aux. tranny and was like ah crap now i just make myself look completly stupid would like to get an older 2 ton truck for a car hauler and have the split shift but don't really like the sound of a 2 speed rear end (don't sound to reliable) and the brownie aux. trans sounds like a really good idea
Nate


Link to my photobucket for pics of my vehicles
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/OldIronChevy/

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0