The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (2-Ton, 1955 1 Series, tclederman), 94 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
I have a 49 3100 with a 54 235 in it (I think!)

With the valve cover off, I see a short, curved tube in the middle of the valves that is about 2 inches high and curved - like an upside down J. What is this? Is this some sort of oil return line to splash oil on top of the valve train? The end of the tube appears to be somewhat "crimped" closed - looks like it was mashed closed with pliers? Should the end be open?

Also - can I turn over and/or start the engine with the valve cover off without making a mess?? (throwing oil everywhere?)

Thanks!

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 175
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 175
That is the oil return line for the excess oil that does not go out to the rocker arms. YOu can run the beast with the valve cover off. Not too much mess with my 216----I don't know how much oil is slung around in the top of a 235

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Here's a dark photo of what you're talking about. The one on the right is from my '53 235. I don't know if it came from my truck's orignal 216 or with the newer 235. The overflow tube lowers the pressure to the rocker arms.

The one on the left is from an "848" head of a newer 235. GM crimped the overflow tube.

I have a third one where someone has crimped and brazed the overflow tube.

[img]http://www.sandeace.com/48/OilConnectors.JPG[/img]


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
I've seen a lot of discussion about these things, but I have yet to hear weather they should or should NOT be crimped. I took the crimp out of mine. 235 w/848 head. Am I wrong?

George

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
The idea was to relieve excess oil via the tube but you cannot possibly over oil the rockers so I leave 'em crimped shut when I find 'em like that

As long as oil indeed comes out the tiny hole in the top of the rocker when you rev up the engine you're good to go ~ no oil at all indicates a serious problem you need to address _now_ .


-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0