The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#192964 11/07/2005 10:37 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 9
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 9
I've got a pressure-oiled '56 235 in my '53 1/2 Ton. One of the first things I did after purchasing it, was change the oil. I noticed it was REALLY thick, and thought it might have been awhile since the last change.

I checked the archives on TSP and sounded like straight 30 weight was the oil of choice. Well, since the oil change (back in June), the engine has been using at least a quart every 1-2 tankfuls of gas. There's an oily film on the tailgate, rear bumper and license plate. The plate that came on the truck was clean, which leads me to think that the thicker oil was minimizing (eliminating?) any blow-by. The truck also wasn't driven much by it's previous owner, so maybe all the miles I've been logging just sorta "loosened things up" ?

I am planning an engine rebuild, but not sure when that will happen. Seems like I read somewhere that some bolters run tractor oil. If so, what viscosity is it, and is there any side-effect from using it? I'm okay with the engine using oil, but the problem seems to have started only after I started using 30 weight.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

-murph

#192965 11/07/2005 11:31 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
Sometimes the old motor will loosen up and slow down on oil useage. If it sat for along time the rings may be somewhat stuck in the ring gruves.

#192966 11/08/2005 12:14 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If the weather is not too cold use a 20W50 or 15W40 deisel oil. Are you leaking oil. Often when there is oil on the rear it is leaking & blowing back.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0