The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
Hey All,
This is my first post. Last night I bought a 58 Apache. I tried to run the VIN on a decoder website. Most said I own a 77. I can assure you this truck is no 77. Can anyone help a newbie? It has a weird looking stamp. The 6B is much smaller than the rest of the VIN
VIN: 6B A58119937

PLEASE HELP.


What have I gotten myself into?
58 Apache
65 C10
76 Silverado 4x4
03 2500 HD Duramax
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/jbreen33/
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
1956 - 1959 ("Task Force" trucks)

The first and second symbols indicated the Series (all light trucks had a "3" in the first position). Third and fourth symbols indicated the two-digit year. The fifth symbol indicated the assembly plant (now changed to letters from numbers). Last was the the sequence number (6 digits and started with 001001 at each plant).

A "6B" suggests a 6400 with a 156.5" wheelbase.. the "A" would seem to suggest it was assembled in ATlanta, GA.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
6B is a 2ton [6400], as Fumblin sez, and that would be a Viking, not Apache - the smaller 6B is because it was added on after the plant and sequence number, when they decided what bigger chassis the cab was actually going on - if that VIN is on an Apache it's not the tag that belongs to that truck, or the cab has been replaced - does that VIN come from the cab tag or the title paper? might be that someone scrounged up a title for a truck that didn't have one eek
is it a half ton?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
It is not a Viking. It is a Apache 3100. I know that much, and beleive at this point I don't know much. I got the number right off the truck. Right above the VIN plate there is another plate that gives the color code (705 Glade Green) and another code 156. I don't know what 156 means.


What have I gotten myself into?
58 Apache
65 C10
76 Silverado 4x4
03 2500 HD Duramax
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/jbreen33/
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
well if it's a short 1/2T, then the tag or cab's been changed - does it match what's on the title? a 3100 VIN would start '3A' [3= 3000 series, A= 114" W.B., only made in 1/2T] - 156 should be a trim code

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I was under the impression that in Georgia you don't need a title for a truck that old, just a bill of sale.

Like red58 said.. sounds like somebody put a cab that was originally on a 2 ton truck your frame.

That's actually a pretty common practice, going all the way back to the '41 trucks (maybe even farther) since the cabs and doors are the same between the 1/2 tons and the 2 tons.. and the big truck cabs tend to be easier to find, and in better shape.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
Thanks a lot for your help Bill. I don't have a title. I have the last registration card/insurance card. They say the same number. I hope there has not been some funny business. This truck has been in the same family since the day it was bought. It is a Georgia truck from the Atlanta plant.


What have I gotten myself into?
58 Apache
65 C10
76 Silverado 4x4
03 2500 HD Duramax
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/jbreen33/
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 37
Thanks a lot Fumblin...I don't think it will be a problem. Do you see a problem? Ya'll have been a real help...if there is anything I can do let me know...Oh and yes Fumblin don't need a title...just registration in GA.


What have I gotten myself into?
58 Apache
65 C10
76 Silverado 4x4
03 2500 HD Duramax
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/jbreen33/
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Well the VIN says it's a 2 ton truck, built in Atlanta in 1958.. if it's a 1/2 ton truck, then either there was a goof from the factory or somebody switched cabs on the truck.

Either way, I don't see any problem so long as the number on the plate matches the number on the papers.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 67
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 67
Look on top of the frame just in front or just behind the steering sector for your vin#

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Mule, you do realize you’re answering a 14 year old thread and the original poster hasn’t been on site in 9 years.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0