The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Opelika Tom, Otto Skorzeny), 86 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
I have a '52 AD 3100. I am going for complete disassembly but I am not sure how far to go on the hood. (meaning drilling out all of the rivets ect.)

1. Has anyone completly disassembled the hood?

2. Would you recommend it?

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 153
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 153
no and no.
i've read on different forums that the hood is hard to line back up.
tony


Overland Blue, 1953 GMC 1/2T, 100-22, 228/1bbl, 4sp/4.10 6v, shortbed/fender side/5-window.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
chev235,

My question to you would be why would you want to take the two halves apart? My vote is with old_blue...it doesn't seem like it would serve ANY purpose.


Stuart.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
Stuart,
The reason would be that I restored my truck once and did a really crappy job. I prefer not to leave a spot of rust on the truck this time. I have found alot of rust residing between pieces that are riveted together.

From reading old_blues comments I am pretty sure that I am not going to completely disassemble the hood.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
chev235,

Then I would do it...as you sit in the drivers seat you look out on the hood. You don't want to stare at a reminder of what you should have done.


Stuart.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 351
chev235,
Wait a cotton-pickin minute. Rust in Arizona? No way it must be just a smudge. Mine came from Cincinatti. Now we're talkin RUST! But the hood ain't comin apart/ The body guy is very confident the the blaster will get it. I'll hold my breath.
I'm also doing a complete resto on a 52'. I'd really be curious about your game plan as to how close you'll go to original. Frolm body, color,wheels. suspension, driveline.
-jeff

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
I'm going to take mine apart, but I don't have much of a choice. GMC hoods aren't too easy to find, and the rear braces are completely rusted through (no idea how). A butchered '54 Chebby hood is donating the required parts.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 212
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 212
I took the hood apart on the 6400 series I am now working on. It didn't seem to be much worse than a lot of other things I did to the truck. I think you will probably be sorry if you don't do it. There is almost certain to be some rust between the two halves, and it will come back to bite you if you don't deal with it. Allen

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having been there and done that I would suggest the following. You can remove the front support brace easily enough and the rear hinge brace/bow can be partially removed without drilling out the rivets that secure it to the side hood lip. Once you remove the center plate of the rear brace you can get to any rust that may be hidding under the brace to treat it, remove it, and/or paint it. I would suggest not removing the rivets. I had to on my hood so I could move the brace to another hood shell but the re-attachment was difficult. It can be done but you probably do not need to go that far to do what you want.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
It is hard to imagine a climate much worse than here in the middle of the USA, which is right where Sam and I are located. I didn't take my hood apart but there is no sign of rust 20 years later. Sam's rusty rear brace was likely due to leaking radiator fluid getting thrown back by the fan.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I'd say if your hood is in such bad shape you feel the need to peel it apart, maybe you need to just get a new, way less rusty hood.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
Unless you can see rust through on the seam between the halves, I'd say leave it be. Take the center trim off the top, but don't take the halves apart. You're just asking for reassembly trouble if you do.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Fumblin, the only part of my hood that is damaged is the rear brace. The rest is straight and rust free. However, those braces are GONE. And GMC hoods are a PITA to find.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
Is there anyone near you who can acid dip it? That would get into all those hidden spots without disassembly/reassembly. I think there were some threads about that in the body forum if you do some searching.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
BradB ... yes in fact there is a acid drip place about 10 miles from my house. My front fenders are there right now and I am going to take the hood in next.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0