The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (R&S 51 GMC, Guitplayer, Wayne67vert, Lightholder's Dad, Otto Skorzeny), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I got compression.. I got the spark plugs sparkin'.. I got a hot wire going from the hot side of the battery to the positive terminal of the coil.. I got the points set... i know my coil, points, cap, rotor and condenser are good because they were pulled from a perfectly running engine..

I dump some gas in the carb... crank it.. no pop.

Timing perhaps?


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Probably is timing, or spark plugs that are fouled. Do you have the right firing order? 153624 clockwise on the distributor.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
It's got brandy spankin' new plugs in it (gapped to .037).. firing order is set the same way as it was on the 235 I "borrowed" the cap and wires from.
(I assumed the 216 and 235 have the same firing order)


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
does it turn over as fast as it should? it does sound like it might be timing,,did this just happen all at once or has some-one been tinkering with it?


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I haven't ever had it running.. it arrived as a "I dunno" motor.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
Distributors are not always installed the same way, number one could be anywhere. Pull the cap and see where the rotor is pointing when the timing mark is in the window. That will be either the position for #1 wire or for #6 wire, depending on which is at the end of its compression stroke.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Fumblin, I'm going to assume you have spark between the points.

I went through the same thing, 3 different times, when I put the new 216 in my 46. It had been sitting in storage for about 3 years.

I never did determine what the cause was for sure, but I played around with the cap, plugs, roter, coil, and all of the various wires with no success. I eventually filed the surface of the points real lightly, and it popped right off.

It's been starting and running fine all summer since.

By the way, I had spark at the points prior to this, but not as large as I thought it should be. About knocked my father-in-law on his butt, after I filed them.

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I dunno what is wrong with it grin


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 43
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 43
Hi; When I bought my truck I had the same situation. Turns out the timing was 180 degrees off. No idea how that happened. Anyway, the rotor should point at the number one plug inside the cap when the timing mark is at TDC and both valves are closed on number one cylinder. You have to pull the valve cover to check this.
Rich

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
This may sound redundant but did you have #1 at top dead center on the compression stroke when you dropped the distributor into place with the rotor pointing to the #1 plug wire? Might be the problem.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
Or pull #1 plug, put your finger over the hole and crank the engine with the key off until you feel the compression.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
I agree with many above, I think you have a timing issue. you need to set your motor to top-dead-center and find the location of the number one plug on the distributer. Once you have that, then you can set you cap on from the other engine putting the wires in the proper order 153624.

I had the same issue as you did, I checked everything and the engine would turn over but nothing else would happen. I started over setting the engine to TDC on the flywheel re-did the wiring and I am back in business.....


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
Quote
Originally posted by joker:
does it turn over as fast as it should?
Fumblin, after you've established TDC, and made sure your dist. is positined correctly, and then re-checked it, and re-re-checked it smile Then make sure you can get that thing spinin' like it should, that was part of my problem when I first got mine running.


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Had the battery on deep cycle charge overnight, going to the autoparts store for new cables.. guess i'm going to check the online manual to determine where the timing mark is, and how to tell when it's in the right position.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
Pull the valve cover, and watch the valves on #6 cylinder. Turn the engine over (clockwise) with the fan. When the exhaust valve is about halfway closed, and the intake just starts to open, set the distributor rotor to point toward #1 plug wire. Now, turn the distributor housing clockwise until the points close, and turn it back counterclockwise until they're just barely open. Button everything up and fire it off. Works every time!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Well i've gone from "rar..rar..rar..rar.." to "rar..rar...rarrarrar...rar...rar...rarrarar"

I've got nice hot spark now on the points, and all plugs are nice and hot sparkin'.

The flywheel has a nice glaze of surface rust on it, so I can't make out any timing marks to line up with the little finger thing in the "window".

I'm going to try Hotrod Lincoln's method today.. i'm hoping it's just a matter of me not having the plug wires on right, because at present i'm not sure where the #1 spot is on the distrubuter.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0