The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Rusty Heaps, 55shaker, BC59, RaNfLaS, 1955 1 Series, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, wilbur53, FAST55), 137 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18894 03/06/2004 10:02 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 18
A
AlZ
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 18
I need help with identifying the Inline 6 from an old 62 stake truck. After the last topic I went to inliners.org for a lot of good info.

I got the number off the engine block, its: 3769717. According to inliners.org this matches a code for a chevy 59-62 261. I always thought this was a 292 and it matches the pictures of a 292. It also has a wet (oil) air filter like the 292. There is still original green paint on the engine as well.

The only difference from the 292 picture to the engine is that the oil filter is on the drivers side at the front. On the passenger side it goes: fuel pump, coil, starter.
If any one can help, its appreciated.
thanks
Az

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
No need for further investigation - the engine is definitely a 261, not a 292. Inliners has it right.

The 292, barring some serious customized work, will always have the oil filter on the passenger side of the block. Believe it or not, the 261 is physically larger and heavier than the 292 also. So is the 235! eek

-ftyler

#18896 03/07/2004 10:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 85
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 85
I heard 261s were painted alpine green to distinguish them from the 235s. The first few years the 292s were painted that same green as a carried-over tradition, I guess. By '67 all L6s and I guess all small block V8s were chevy engine orange. Big blocks got a darker reddish tinge to their engine orange. But I'm not sure if that was later.


Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292 just for GP

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0