The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jon G, 68ironhead, Shade Baby), 126 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,298
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18882 04/26/2005 9:42 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 26
E
Junior Member
Junior Member
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 26
The original plan was to leave the 235 in my sons truck and use that as the power plant. Has a four speed for a tranny so this was a good thing for me and what I thought would be a good thing for him.

Here is the deal, first I have to get a new carb as this one is rusted on the inside and actually pitted pretty bad in a few placese. After I buy this then I need to try and get the truck running and see if it does run and if so just how good. Should a guy rebuild even if it sounds good?

When I first got the idea to start the project I thought of putting in a small V8 (283, 327 etc..) and an automatic. I think this would be good but then I got to thinking about a kid with a potential led foot, insurance etc. etc..

So here I am at a crossroads, keep going with the 6 or possibley put in a bigger engine and an auto trans.

My son (stepson) Dad told him when he heard about the project that he would build him a 327..NO PROBLEM EASY TO DO.. I guess if he wants to do this and then get the tranny and cover the cost that would really help with the financing of the rebuild. This would also get his Dad into this with Kyle and that is a good thing that he can help his son work on his first ride, although I wanted Kyle and I to do this alone together I also understand the importance of pop's helping out.

O.K. enuff rambling..lol.. :What should I do and if a V8 swap do I need to change the front end or ????

1960 chevy shortbed stepside half ton.

Thank's a bunch

evilstepdad

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Only you know what you really want.I did mine up with a 350,and a 700R4 tranny.Also installed the M2 frontend,with power R&P steering.It suits me just fine.Will it go?? H--l yes.Course I am not a kid and I drive it responsibly.Dont even have the radio hooked up,I just like to listen to that 350 exiting thru the Flowmasters.I would be just as happy with a 235,with split manifold,and glasspacks.Whatever turns you on.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
If it were me I would find a carb and get the 235 running. Tune it up and get it as good as you can. Nothing says that you can't drop another engine into it later. This will also give you a chance to see how your step son treats the truck. Does he treat it with respect and truely care for the truck or does he thrash it and abuse it?

That is what I would do


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
ESD,
I would reccomend doing a compression test on your 235. If it tests good, then it shouldn't be that hard to get it running. I have a 235 with split exhaust manifold, 2bbl carb, and full flow oil filter conversion. It is a sweet runner, and easy on gas.

potshot

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
What Brian Moore said. Work with the young man to get the truck running and watch how he treats the truck. Then later if a V8 is assembled do the big work, front end, tranny and rear.


"Drugs are money, money is power, power is security." - Kent Heiner
Nedrow population 2212
Carbon footprint family of 2/11 tonnes of CO2/yr
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
i have a 54-3100/235 w/ pacer IFS dual carbs fenton headers 79 nova rear unfortunatly 2.73 gears does alright but not good, pertronix ing. floor shifter soon to be T-5. i like it and it is still a beater but get compliments all the time. i work at home depot to support the truck (semi-retired) and people stop me all the time, here cool all the time. go to http://community.webshots.com/user/rsteltz to see what i looks like. also lowering springs om rear. i am sorry my son (33) has no interest in the truck except to have haul things for him. he and his wife both have new BMW"S yuppies. ron BTW rebuilt carbs are available at auto sone for about 100.00 each.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
With regards to modifying the front end to accept a V-8 swap, you do not have to modify the frame or front suspension with a small block. If you intend to install a big block you might consider some front suspension upgrades to account for the additional weight of a big block.

My first truck was a 1966, C-10, LWB, Fleetside with a factory staight six and three speed on the column. I drove it like that until I had the funds and resources to install a small block 400. With the help of my father and my neighbor (a diesel mechanic) we were able to install the small block with minimal trouble.

Even at 16, I treated the truck like my best friend and loved every minute I spent working on it. I followed my first truck with a 1965, C-10, LWB, Fleetside that also had a factory straight six and a granny low 4-speed on the floor. I drove that truck for five years until it was stolen. With the aftermarket upgrades available for sixes, I would get the straight six running. This will require minimal costs and as others have stated give you a chance to see how your step-son will receive and treat the truck. If the 327 comes along later, the swap is rather simple and can be done as time and finances allow.

Best of luck with the project. Hats off to you and your son's father for taking a pro-active role in your son's interest in restoring the truck. Men of your character are the glue for young men heading in the right direction. Your son should cherish the experience for a long time.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0