The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Jon G, DadsFirstPickup, 1955 1 Series, Wrenchman), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,305
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 29
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 29
Am learning my new bolt. Setting out to inspect brakes and ran into quandry jacking front end. Drivers and Owner's Manual does not address changing tires or jack points for front or rear wheels. Don't have original jack and am using a sizzors jack. No problem jacking rear with jack under axle. What about front end jack point? Under axle which will compress leaf spring up against frame or under frame where front bumper attaches to frame? TIA


Mike
'27 Chevy
'41 John Deere B
'49 GMC
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 314
If the weight is already on the axle, and you jack under the axle it will not compress the springs any more.

If you jack under the frame, the springs will have to relax completely before the tire starts to come off the ground.


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 29
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 29
Thanks Inky. I'll have another go at it. I started jacking under the axle and watched the leaf spring compress to the point where the rubber bumper on top of the spring was just about to contact the frame... and no suggestion that the wheel was coming off the ground. Looks to me like the wheel isn't going to go up until that rubber bumper makes contact with the frame and at that time I'll be jacking the axle AND the frame.


Mike
'27 Chevy
'41 John Deere B
'49 GMC
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
Where to jack your front end? Find a private location for starters!

I use a bottle jack and put it right in the center of the 4 u-bolt nuts if removing a tire. Otherwise to fool with the tie rod and such, I do the same thing and put a block or stand under the axle, then go to the other side. If removing the entire axle, block behind the spring pins. Depends on your goal.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 12
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 12
Mike

Does your truck have the original type front axle underneath it - or has it been converted to IFS?

If it is the original axle, and you put your jack under the axle, if the wheel doesn't go up with the axle, something terrible is wrong!

If your truck has IFS, put the jack under the lower A-frame.

Am I missing something?


Doug
54 Chevy 3100

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0