The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Shade Baby), 152 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#187483 08/14/2005 6:02 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
My '59 Viking has a newer 292, I would like to find out what year it is. It will make life easier in the future when looking up tune-up specs, and also ordering parts. The local Chevy dealer (parts people) have not been unable to help. It seems that there might be some additional ID numbers that I can't find. Here is what I do know.

Engine Serial #14 6392178
Engine Cast #3851659 Also says "con 2 E 11 6"

Intake Cast #3859381

Exhaust Cast #3855240

Another web site (Inliners I think) identified it as a 292 '63 thru '76 can anyone here narrow it down a little.

Thanks


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
#187484 08/14/2005 7:40 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
The block casting date code E 11 6 decodes to May 11, in a year ending with 6. Could be '66 or '76. Most sources give the year range for that 292 block casting number as '63-'76 (most online sources just copy the info from Inliners), but I found one source that only went through '72, and after '72, the casting numbers were very different. Yours could be a '66. There was also apparently a change in 292 heads in '67. Can you find the head casting number?

The engine serial number you give doesn't appear to be a serial number. Was this number stamped on the pad to the rear of the distributor? It should be in a form such as F0503WA. While the engine serial number won't indicate a year directly, the suffix code can provide clues. For instance, regardless of what the suffix decodes to, a 2-letter suffix would indicate a year in the '63-'69 range, and a 3-letter suffix would indicate '70-up.


Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
#187485 08/14/2005 12:13 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Once you have the last two or three of the stamped number:
http://no25.chuckthetruck.com/page3.html

#187486 08/14/2005 4:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Late 60,s up had the temp. sender in the head. 71 up had the tapered seat plugs. 74 up went to narrow belts & 5/8 bypass hose. 73 back had 1" bypass hose. That might help you get appox. area.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#187487 08/15/2005 6:03 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Xram53, I double checked all of the numbers and that is the way they are listed. The serial number is directly behind the distributor on the machined pad. The number is perfectly clear, (no double or poor stamping).

chuckthetruck, As I stated to Xram, the serial number is like I originally reported. No letters, it is all numbers.

Wrenchbender, The temp. sender is in the thermostat housing that is bolted directly to the front of the head. Looks like the older style plug (13/16" spark plug socket) has flat face seat. Champion Plugs N5C. Looks like the larger hose.

Could it be something other than a 292, maybe a 250 or something else? Could it be a GMC engine, maybe they shared the same castings, but serialed them differently? It does not say "Chevrolet" anywhere like a 283 would have on the valve covers. Or could it have been a crate engine long or short block? Or if it was a remanfactured engine, would they machine the pad and create their own serial number?
If I remember correctly the head casting number would be under the valve cover, is that right? I guess I could pull the cover, if that is my only option.


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
#187488 08/15/2005 8:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
According to this page it's 63-72, which would mean a 66.
http://www.butlers-a1.com/chevym.htm
About halfway down the page are two listings for the block casting. I would check the head casting number, it's under the valve cover.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#187489 08/16/2005 4:28 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 57
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 57
My 65 292 has the temp sender in the thermostat housing.


65 C10 292/700R4 long fleet...Gettin closer by the day.
#187490 08/16/2005 5:02 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Fred and Tom thanks for the help. I think that for now, I will assume it is a '66 as it seems that most of the data is pointing that way. And I will check the casting numbers on the head sometime later on. I do have at least 2 oil leaks to address, and one looks like it's the valve cover. I will be sure and post my finding, when I get to that stage.

Thanks Again

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
#187491 08/17/2005 3:42 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Valve cover leaks can be tough on this engine. I'm assuming it has a sheet metal cover. Clean the surface spotless. Straighten the lip on the cover, I use a small ball peen hammer and a piece of 2X4 as a dolly. It needs to be flat, all the way across. I use a cork gasket and yellow weatherstrip adhesive on both sides. When you install the bolts, use a torque wrench and tighten to 55 in-lb. It is important that you do not overtighten the bolts and bend the flange on the cover.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0