The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Steelonsteel, Hotrod Lincoln), 136 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,261
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I purchased a rebuild kit but can't seem to get it to work. No break fluid makes it past the piston and out into the lines.

What am I doing wrong? What sequence does this thing go back together? I didn't take apart the original so I don't know exactly how it goes back together.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 124
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 124
Just a guess, could the rubber cups be in backwards? The linkeage has to be right. I dont know how you can tell that. I never messed with the linkeage because a good mechanic told me years ago to leave it alone as I could mess things up bad. I bet someone here will know just what your problem is.


I like old trucks
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
InMy40s, look at my webshots pictures below and under huck brakes and you will see all the parts in order to rebuild the master cylinder for my 1946. I hope this is what you were looking for as my master cylinder is now rebuilt and works.
Jamo cool


Growing old is manditory-Growing up is optionial.
Jamo
http://community.webshots.com/user/erics46
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
My guess is that the "check valve" is installed back wards but that is just a guess. Did you mic the cyclinder to see if it is within spec? This is one of those things that "if I could see it and put my hands on it" I am sure we could spot the problem right off. Let us know what you find.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
It's situations like that that some good digital pictures come in handy. Now that I've got a digital camera, every time I rebuild something, I take pictures along the way so I (or others) can benefit later. Hopefully someone has done the same for the MC.

Rance


66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
Thanks Eric, your pics confirmed that I have everything in the correct order.

I had the cylinder honed by a local shop, so it may no longer be in spec.

I'll try priming the space behind the piston to see if that helps. If not, I'll have to order a new one.

Thanks everybody

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
InMy40's You may want to look and see if both (yes there are 2 one large and one small) holes from the reservoir are both open. Just a thought. One more thing did you bench bleed the MC or did you install it and then fill it? Have you tried to disconect the main line and see if you are pumping fluid out of the MC? Good luck.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 153
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 153
i believe brian has the right idea here. you have to 'prime' the mc before you install it or you'll be dry pumping for hours.


Overland Blue, 1953 GMC 1/2T, 100-22, 228/1bbl, 4sp/4.10 6v, shortbed/fender side/5-window.
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
I just honed out my master cylinder and cleaned it out real good and made sure both holes were free of anything, installed new rebuild kit and installed on truck and filled with brake fluid. I did not bench bleed it and it took only a couple of pumps and fluid was squirting out of the back of the master cylinder. I reconnected brake line and bled entire system and I was on my way. smile
Jamo


Growing old is manditory-Growing up is optionial.
Jamo
http://community.webshots.com/user/erics46
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
Turn out to be the second hole was plugged. It took a punch to get it clear. Once that was done it worked right away.

Thanks for all of the help.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Glad it was a simple fix!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0