The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, J Lucas, DHedrick), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,375
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#182661 04/25/2005 3:32 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 71
What kind of gas mileage should I expect with a 216 1/2 ton, stock setup. Carb has been rebuilt, plugs, points are new and set properly as is timing. I'm getting about 12MPG. Truck starts and runs fine but tailpipe is black so I suspect I'm running rich. Truck also consumes quite a bit of oil, no smoke, so I suspect it's coming out (leaking) but only when the truck is running, good suspect would be the main rear seal but I need to investigate further. Thanks,

#182662 04/25/2005 4:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know what you should get, but now I'm groaning because of what I'm going to get....(groan) ...and my 64 gets 12...gotta love a 50 year old engine....

#182663 04/25/2005 6:03 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
you should be getting much better than 12 from a 216 , these are easy to get upwards of 20mpg from with simple fine tuning.

Last trip I did to Blenheim (310kms)I sat on a steady 55mph with the deck full to level and averaged 22mpg. (Imperial)

Check the float level , and the timing can be enhanced a little with a couple of degrees more advance (depending on the grade fuel you choose to use).

Oh yeah ,, keep the revs down ,, grin ,, I do 55 'cause I have a 3.9:1 diff from a '55 and the wee 216 loves it.

#182664 04/26/2005 9:01 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I got about 18-19 mpg (US gallons) with my 216 in my '50 before I changed it to my 261. Now I only get about 15-16, but that should get better when I put in the 3.07 rearend.

Check that the power valve in the carb isn't stuck open. It does tend to carbon up and hang open. Alternately make sure you have the phenolic spacer underneath with the slot to allow vaccum to the passage in the base of the carb. It can't just sit on the flange or it doesn't get any vacuum signal.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0