The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (rfs56trk, Gdads51, Charles in CA), 49 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,084
Posts1,056,334
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#182141 10/30/2004 1:38 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
have you ever painted your truck with just a paint brush?


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#182142 10/30/2004 1:57 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 175
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 175
I havent but if it's going back to nature and all you can afford is a brush and a quart of rustoleum I recomment it.


Gravity - It's not just a good idea, it's the law.
#182143 10/30/2004 2:17 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 120
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 120
A little hot rod story. A frind of a frind showed up at the la roadster show one year in a flat black roadster, in case you did not know you have to have gloss paint to enter the show, Sop they would not let him in. He went to the hardware store and bought a gallon of gloss yellow paint and proceeded to paint his cr with a brush

#182144 10/30/2004 11:15 AM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 285
gmc--Did he win his class? :confused:

#182145 10/30/2004 3:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
He won best artist.
I painted a VW bug with a brush once. I used regular car paint of the time and had them add some additives that would help with flowing etc. The results were actually very nice though I should have thinned it a bit more. It didn't flow perfect and some brush strokes remained. Some wet sanding would have smoothed it out, but I never did it.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#182146 10/30/2004 4:49 PM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 272
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 272
I painted my frame with Zero rust and a brush.


Don't you know who I think I am?
I've been thinkin' about freaking out. If I could just find the time.
http://community.webshots.com/user/ifrizlfri
#182147 10/31/2004 1:19 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 124
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 124
I painted a 1946 chevy truck with a brush. I used farm implement paint. No prep, just wiped the dust off and went at it. Hint, dont do it in the hot sun. It will dry before you can get the brush strokes out. I wish I still had that old truck.


I like old trucks
#182148 10/31/2004 3:25 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
Well, I've finished painting my frame, axles, and springs with a paint brush and XO-Rust Red Metal primer and XO-Rust Satin Black. I'm planning on having the hardware store color match one of the original body colors in XO-Rust and paint all of ths sheet metal with a brush.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
#182149 11/01/2004 1:50 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Quote
have you ever painted your truck with just a paint brush?
Youbetcha! Shelley once wore brushed on tractor paint, red. Thinned it down really thin and used the best paint brush we could find, helped the brush marks settle right out. Took about five coats because it was so thin. Kept a good wax on 'er and you couldn't even tell it was brushed on. Had to get up real close to tell.


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
#182150 11/01/2004 4:35 AM
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 36
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 36
Many years ago when I was a teenager my dad wanted me to paint our 52 international PU with a brush. It was a really nice rust-free California truck. At the time we lived in Maine so an older truck in that nice a shape was really a rarity. Anyway, He was too cheap/poor to pay for it to be properly sprayed so I went ahead and brushed it. It looked OK from 20 feet by up close it looked like crap. I tried my best to talk him out of it because at best I knew it wouldn't add any value and at worst it would detract from the value of the truck. I still kick myself for doing it.

I wish I could find one like it now.

#182151 11/01/2004 11:22 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
One of my favorite trucks...the 45 2 ton is "rolled" and brushed. I love it. We even sprayed painted the inside dash and it turned out fine. We used rustoleum and a roller. Brushed around the windows and emblems. I even pretend chrombed the grill. Well, I painted grey so it didn't look to tacky. I have to say, no one ever said.... oh I see you brush painted it. I don't care if they did. Looks better than rust. 5 foot paint job

#182152 11/01/2004 1:09 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 523
I gotta a Bugatti type 35 Gran Prix car painted with a brush
Does that count???

#182153 11/01/2004 3:16 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Tom68cst, just noticed a 1951 five window dodge halfton, new motor, new paint, tires,,$2650, located in the Dallas area,guess that would be a long drive for you though,,,,,Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0