The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Millenimech, NJC, Forty9, tclederman), 79 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,321
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 96
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 96
I would like to upgrade my front end. I have located a subframe from a Volare, but would like to keep the same wheel bolt pattern as my rear end (5 on 4 3/4). The rear end is from a 1984 Pontiac Trans Am w/ disc brakes and 3:73 Posi gears. First- Is this possible? Second- Is there any articles or directions for doing it?

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
The Volare type swap is more popular on Task Force (55 2nd to '59) than on AD trucks like yours. I don't know why, but I do know the frames are different.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 28
1
Member
Member
1 Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 28
Just my opinion, but if you HAVE to have power steering, disk brakes, and IFS, on the 1947-1955 first series frames, I would go with a '67-87 Chevy IFS swap, the swap is easy (I'm nearly done my second one) the difference between the frames is 5/8" on each side, parts are relitively cheap, doner trucks are easy to find (I used a '72 or newer for the power disks and power steering). If you don't need the IFS, you can upgrade your straight axel to power steering and power brakes easy enough, as I plan to do with my newly aquired '53 panel. Keep it all chevy, then you can get it aligned anywhere, parts anywhere (and usually in stock) and you can say its all chevy.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 39
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 39
Ya but with the Mopar stuff just a turn of the bolt and down in da weeds!!No need for air bags! grin


48GMC 5window,350,700R4,p/w,p/b,and a couple of homemade parts!
41 Sedan Delivery next up to be reborn!!

"Nothing is Junk,just unfinished projects" Desert rat with a spray gun!
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 96
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 96
Hey, Oldsub, 1951COE, 48GMC pikum up and everyone else, thanks for your feedback. I have heard about others using a 72 Chevy P/U IFS. Can you give any pointers on the 1972 Chevy w/disc brake change over? Are there many modifications needed in regards to the inner fender or radiator support? It would be cool to keep the straight axel, but understand there is no way to have it handle very well. If you have an experience in regards to this type of change over, they would be greatly appreciated.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I've not performed the conversion to later IFS, I have only read about it and looked at ones others have done. I expect to do it on one of my trucks eventually.

You can have disk brakes and power steering with out performing a converstion like this one. And some will argue that your original suspension will handle nearly as good if its in good repair.

The swap is a big enough project that I'd suggest you look hard at your needs before committing to the conversion.

There are several issues with the swap.

First is that you won't be lowering the truck this way, unless you also buy dropped spindles.

Second is that the crossmember is designed to mount on a slightly wider frame, so you'll need to make sure your mounting accounts for the width and mounts everything adequately. The steering box and idler arm need to be mounted correctly too.

And the track width is a little wide. You may have trouble finding wheels that will allow mounting tires inside the wheel wells.

One last thought, the IFS is basically the same from 1963 through 1987, and a couple years more on Suburbans. In '71 disk brakes were optional, starting in '72 disks are standard. If it were me I'd look for the newest one I could find in order to have the most modern parts.

Its not really this simple, but those are the issues that occur to me right now.

HTH


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 12
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 12
heres a link ive found or was given or whatever that kind of gives a good idea and what to expect when doing the 73-87 swap

click me

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I've always felt that one oversimplified...

If you do this please take lots of pictures and notes. We'll all want to learn from your experience!


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 39
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 39
Measurments are your best friend!You can never measure enough.Make sure the truck is level on all four corners as you will be taking readings off the slab.Dont forget about bracing before you cut anything loose.Make sure to check from the center of the rear axle to the center of the front hub,and cross measure from right rear to left front and vice versa.As oldsub said pictures are a big help.The radiator support can be mounted to tabes you can make after it is in.Be sure to check with the sheet metal for alignment.Me i like to leave the front sheet metal on when doing this.Hope this helps!


48GMC 5window,350,700R4,p/w,p/b,and a couple of homemade parts!
41 Sedan Delivery next up to be reborn!!

"Nothing is Junk,just unfinished projects" Desert rat with a spray gun!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0