The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Opelika Tom, 2 invisible), 95 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17784 12/17/2002 4:42 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
I did the break-in on my 235 about two weeks ago. I left the oil I drained out of the motor sitting in the open drain pan until this past weekend. I poured it into my larger container I use for recycling. The break-in shavings and stuff had settled to the bottom of the pan, leaving a silvery shiny goo. Looks like a combination of tiny metal flakes from bearings, rings, cam & valvetrain, etc. No large pieces or ribbons, kinda looked like a very fine metal flake paint job on the bottom of the drain pan.

Is this normal? Im so paranoid about this new motor.

Car had 30 min break-in, then was driven around town once. Is now down for rear brakes. How long can a new engine be sat up without hurting anything? Does it hurt a new engine to let it idle to operating temp then shut it down?

Thanks
chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#17785 12/17/2002 4:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Hey, chip, at my work we sent off "oil samples" when we do regular oil changes on the bigger diesels (Cummins, Detroit, etc). Check with some local shops and see if you have a lab locally that analyzes this stuff. I'm not sure if metallic particles are normal-it's been a long time since the one and only engine rebuild I've done. Best of luck to you. Hope all comes out O.K.

Regards,
Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
#17786 12/17/2002 4:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Sounds normal to me. I have always placed a small flat magnet near the drain plug for the first couple of oil changes( remove the magnet before draining oil/ reinstall with drain plug).


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#17787 12/17/2002 5:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 59
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 59
There's no difference between letting your "new" engine sit and letting an "old" engine sit -- same amount of wear on start up. Most wear on an engine is at start, especially if it's been sitting for a few days. I would rather let it sit for a few weeks and start it once, rather than starting it every few days.


72 Sierra Grande - Maych

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
#17788 12/18/2002 7:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Like I said, I'm paranoid. Just wanted to make sure my engine wasn't chewing a bearing, or that letting it sit wouldn't hurt it.

thanks again

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
#17789 12/19/2002 12:45 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
The Cummins in my '90 D***** truck has a magnetic oil drain plug. I suppose that's for inspecting for metal but it also will stick on the bottom of the oil pan when changing the oil. I've never seen a bit of metal on it but it only has 175,000 miles on it.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
#17790 12/19/2002 2:42 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
We once blew a cylinder/piston on a VW that had seen a recent overhaul including bottom end. Instead of disassembling we cleaned it out real good and ran it for another 100,000 miles. I did put in a magnetic plug and every oil change there was gobs of metal.

In your case I would also be a little worried with visible metal. Is it really metal? Hold a magnet to it.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#17791 12/19/2002 3:55 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 139
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 139
Chiphead, can you post a picture? If you can get it in bright sunlight, you will be able to see the different metals. I would investgate this till I knew for sure if it's a problem or not. I would guess you do have problem. If it has a spin-on filter, you can use a large pipe cutter to open the filter. Screw a short pipe into the filter and chuck it up in a vice to cage it. After the can is off cut the pleats away from the base and stretch out the pleats. Larger chunks should be there. Laying the paper, at a slight angle to drain the oil off, in the sunlight will show any metal particals. You could do this with a filter off a known good engine to compare. Good luck. Mike

#17792 12/20/2002 7:40 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
I know its worrysome but try to not obscess over this fact of life with any new engine. The first 3-4 oil changes every couple of hundred miles you will see shiny stuff suspended in the oil. If it starts easiely, runs and with good oil pressure you are very lucky the machinest knew enough to put the cam bearings in correctly.

52pu


"Drugs are money, money is power, power is security." - Kent Heiner
Nedrow population 2212
Carbon footprint family of 2/11 tonnes of CO2/yr

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0