The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gdads51, Shade Baby), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
Hi Everyone,
I got a few questions.
When does the vacumm advance work on the distributor, and how do you check to see if it's not working?
If the VA is fine, what would cause pour vacumm?
Also how do you use the dwell on the 235?


My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
vacuum advance, you can watch it move when the engine is revved. And you can check the module by gently sucking or blowing in it. Don't do either very hard, you will crack the diaphragm.

Dwell should be about 32, I usually set with a feeler gauge then check with the meter. V8s were easier, they had a window in the cap to set the dwell. Usually takes a couple of times to get reasonably close.

Do you have a vacuum gauge? It is a big help in tuning these non-computer engines. If your vacuum is low overall, check for leaks, either hoses or intake manifold.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
Hi Fred T,
The vacumm advance on the distributor isn't working. I think i'm gonna have to replace it. I checked the vacumm line. I do have vacumm, but it isn't alot. Should there be alot of vacumm on a 1962 235?
I located a small exhaust leak on the #1 cylinder exhaust manifold. Would that cause low vacumm?
Also how much is a new manifold gasket, a exhaust doughnut gasket, and new manifold bolts?


My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
You should have low vacuum at idle at the vacuum advance but it should shoot up to about 15-17 lbs when you rev the engine up to about 1200 rpm.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
The easy was to set the dwell is : remove the plugs then adjut it whilst spinning that starter . more accurate and way faster that way .

if the dwell varies by more than 3 degrees when you rev. the engine , the dist. bushings are shot - time for another one , Pomona is March 2nd.

I recall you're in the SGV , go to NAPA on Truman in SF and ask Dave or Sue for NAPA Gasket # MS12185X tell 'em Nate sentcha for a discount .

When re-tighening the manifold to the head , start in the center and work your way out , this will prevent future leaks .

Should be _no_ vacuum at the dizzy @ idle , 18" ~ 21" at the manifold . retarded timing can cause low vacuum readings .


-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I " recall " you also Volkswagen Nate. Is your truck running HOT !!! I though you moved over to the " Old chevy Truck " section ??????????

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
Hi MT , no it never runs hot , even in Death Valley it keeps it's cool :-) . I had a custom oversize core installed in an original '49 radiator , I gotta find the time to install it though - it pukes excess water out the tiny header tank I have in there now .

I get hasseled for being here (work) so I can sneak on the other list more easily - hope you all are doing well .


-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0