The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, Peggy M, Jon G), 118 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,126
Posts1,056,353
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 140
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 140
Does anyone know how much coolant a 305 V6 takes? Every time I put anti-freeze and water in it, the ratio is always off, and the stuff turns into slush in the engine. thanks.


Jonathan S. Keffer

Certified Yeti Trainer

Richard Roy Schlicht-
Good Grandfather, Veteran Wrench Turner...

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is..."

Es gibt nichts, zu befürchten, aber befürchtet sich.
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Slush? Frothy brown slush? Sounds like you are getting oil in there. Coolant never turns to slush in any water/antifreeze ratio.
I always mix my coolant before I install it in an extra container so I always get the correct ratio.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: 4ontheFloor ]


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 14
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 14
Mixing coolant in a separate container does not always insure the proper ratio.

If the cooling system was flushed with water, you can be assured there is still some water left in it. If you just fill it up with 50/50, and there is still pure water in block, your solution will be diluted (granted it's only a tiny bit).

Now, of course I don't really care anyway, and just fill it up with 50/50. Just make sure you check the freezing point with an antifreeze tester.

Here in VA it doesn't really get that cold, so I just gotta worry bout down to a little bit below freezing.

Jay


People don't understand why I love old trucks...could it be cause i'm 17?

'54 3800 dually
http://www.dpsolutions-inc.com/54truck/truck.jpg

'56 GMC Dump Truck (and story)
http://www.dpsolutions-inc.com/56dump
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 140
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 140
nope its not brown and frothy. Its still as green as it ever was. Since I dont know the coolant capacity, its kinda hard to tell the right ratio. I should probably put two gallons of anti-freeze in and fill the rest with water. The temperature around here dipped last night to around -6 degrees.


Jonathan S. Keffer

Certified Yeti Trainer

Richard Roy Schlicht-
Good Grandfather, Veteran Wrench Turner...

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is..."

Es gibt nichts, zu befürchten, aber befürchtet sich.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0