Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, TexasA&M48Truck, 5cameo8, TUTS 59, Youngin' Tut 59, Gray_Ghost),
93
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,116 Posts1,056,599 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 | Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum and Chevy trucks. I just purchased an old Chevrolet step van and need to drive it from Boston to Indiana. From what I am told the truck should make the trip with no problems....however I know very little about these trucks (I do not even know what to call them evidently, as I cant seem to find them on the web) is there anything I should make sure to check out before making the drive? What are these trucks called? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The VIN number on it is 3F57T112336, I am including a link to the ad I bought the truck from, because there are a few pictures of the truck there. Thanks for your time and all the best! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4522785454&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:MT:1 | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Check the news page on this site scroll down and I believe there is a VIN decoder link. I don't know what the rear gearing would be but since it was designed for light loads maybe it's geared high enogh for the interstates. Otherwise you may be more comfortable taking your time on the skinny roads. If it's mechanically sound there's no reason it shouldn't make the trip from Boston to Bloomington. If you do drive it that far why not take notes and submit them to the stovebolt editor for the saga section. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 | Thanks for the help kb3csw, I did find a vin list that told me it was a 57 made in Terrytown New York. however the F series designation for 1957 reads "coming soon". Keeping a journal for the sagas section is a great idea, I will do it! Do you have any idea who made the body for the truck? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | Hey JupiterCoyote, Congrats on the winning bid! Your VIN shows that it's a 3700 series (3F), 1957 (57), born in Tarrytown (T), and was number 111335 off the line (unit numbers all begin with 001001 at each plant regardless of series). You can call GM at 800-222-1020, give them the VIN and ask for a "Restoration Package"... in the package I just got it indicates the 3700 models as "forward control chassis and shows it as a delivery type vehicle. Hope this helps! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I specialized in this type truck for 30 years. They are called steb vans. The bodies were made by several different co,s. Aluminum bodies are the best. Union City is the most popular body while Grumman is the best. Chevy calls them double-duty. A good source of body parts is Mill Supply. Call 800-888-5072 & ask for there Walk in van parts catalog. Chassis parts are the same as Chevy 1/2 to 1 ton. We used to drive them in many miles for reconditioning. Make shure its in reasonable good condition. The wind is a trip in one of those. Let us know how it comes out.  They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 55 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 55 | I like the Party Deck out back!  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 175 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 175 | Nice truck. It looks like a real camper and not a shoddily done home conversion. Hope it's as great in real life as the pics show. I like it a lot. Good luck.
Gravity - It's not just a good idea, it's the law.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 | Thank you so much everyone! You have been so helpful. This community is the BEST. I have been looking for a motorhome I could afford for quite some time. Most in my price range looked rode hard and put up wet...and rusted and sagging and most of them were 20 years newer. Now I need to find a cheap flight and meet my new ride. Once again thanks for all the kind words and information you folks have really been helpful! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | Southwest via Manchester, NH is probably your best bet.... Manchester is only about 30 min from the Mass border. Good luck! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | That,s a Grumman aluminum body . Very well built & will never rust. I meant step-van.  They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 | WoooHooo, I got the truck paid for (I had to pawn my stratocaster guitar) and a plane ticket to go get it on the 23rd. Sixteen day's is going to seem like an awfully long time. Does anyone know what's up with the box thing on the back that makes up the back porch? I have found picture of 5 or 6 of these trucks but none of them had this feature. Thanks again to all you wonderful people. I have learned so much thanks to you. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 9 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 9 | Just noticed this thread. I have one of these that was used as a "mobile kitchen". It was a freebee, all we had to do was tow it off. Thought I could use the motor with updraft carb in my COE since the carb on it now is located in the cab.........next to the gas peddle  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 9 | Wow RDB, What are you going to do with the rest of it? Looking for some parts is probably in my future! | | |
| |