The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (78buckshot, klhansen), 75 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Howdy Folks

I'm living in Zimbabwe and recently picked up a 3100 1954 Chev Truck. I can't decode the VIN though - it is - 54 3100 SA F 7742

Interesting facts on this truck - The windscreen is not the wraparound but rather split down the middle like the 1953 chev, and the cargo sides are angled and not straight up and down -also like the 1953 3100. It seems the trucks built in Port Elizabeth South Africa were a mix between '53 and '54 models? Is this possible?

Does this make sense to anyone?

Question 2- I am desperate for a comprehensive work shop manual for this car. Something I can use to restore everything from the inner workings of doors to the correct torque adjustments, gaskets etc.

Thank you for your help from the place time forgot.

Rob
Zimbabwe

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Post some pictures of it. I'd like to see this setup.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Thanks for the pictures fletch. I would presume, that since your truck has the '47-'53 style cab, that it also has, the '47-'53 style dash. What does the ID(VIN) plate, in the driver door jamb, look like.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
Fletch, you mean your President-for life Mugabe hasn't confiscated your truck yet??? That tyrant has driven your nation into the Stone Age! I'm surprised you're there at all!


Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass.
Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by fletch:
I'm living in Zimbabwe and recently picked up a 3100 1954 Chev Truck. I can't decode the VIN though - it is - 54 3100 SA F 7742
I'd read that to mean its a '54 1/2-ton (3100) built in South Africa (SA) in June. Its probably the 6741st to roll off that line in '54. I'm just guessing based on what I know of US and Canadian VINs.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Is it right-hand drive? I think I read once that right hand drive never went to the curved windshield.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Hey Fletch, welcome. You've found the right place. Post those pictures for all to see.

According to the reprint 1947-1954 CHEVROLET TRUCK FACTORY ASSEMBLY MANUAL right hand drive trucks did not change cabs in 1954.

Fletch, a copy of this manual will be extremely helpful.

A side note: even though it is called 1947-1954, the drawings are all 1954.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
i won't make a political statement, rather, just say welcome. i had a question about the old film "hatari", starring john wayne, and an old right hand drive a.d. truck that got plenty beat up, but kept on going and going and going----.

best of luck with your truck.

and. to give you a concept of how small the world is, from lebanon indiana, u.s..
"PAMWE CHEATE".

have a good day.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Hi Everybody,

Apologies for the delay in replying.The phone systems work very sporadically.

Patrick66 - I am one of the last 200 white farmers left in the country. My district had 59 intensive highly successful commercial farms in it. There are three of us left with our back up against the hills. The truck came to me when my cousins were thrown off their ranch - they had occupied the place since 1896.

I don't have an url - does this mean I can't post any pictures to you folks?

OldSub - I think you are right about the VIN. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I can work out how to. The car is right hand drive. I have a problem getting a manual for the car. The import duties and customs regulations are incredibly stupid in this country. It is illegal to own anyt foreign currency. You cannot buy it from a bank and all the Currency Exchange Bureau's were closed down by Government. Does any one know if this manual is available on CD?

Koolkar. It is a small world. Pamwe Chete is very familiar to me. My father was a Selous Scout. Does this mean anything to you? He asks if you had anything to do with the Unit?

Thank you so much everybody for the replies.

Regards

Rob

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Email the pictures to me and I'll post them for you.

Do you travel outside the country much? I have contacts in Botswana, Burkina Faso, Ghana and sometimes South Africa. We might be able to arrange for you to pick something up in one of those countries if that would help.

I don't know the rules, and we'd certainly want to operate within the law to protect the interests of all involved.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
my best to your father. tell him i spent some quality time last summer with a gentleman named louis awerbuck, and will see him in a few months, and can communicate with him by e-mail.

louis now lives in the states in arizona. he was, as was your father, a selous scout.

yes my friend, the world is small.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
contact me by private message, or better yet, at [email protected]

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by OldSub:
Email the pictures to me and I'll post them for you.
But I didn't say I'd do it fast...

[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/03/fletch/1954chev_2.jpg[/img]
'54 Grill, flat windshield.


[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/03/fletch/P1010350_2.JPG[/img]
Slanted bed tops.

[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/03/fletch/P1010351_2.JPG[/img]
Right-hand drive AND hand brake!

[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/03/fletch/P1010353_2.JPG[/img]
South African VIN plate.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
That's cool! Rob, you've got a neat old Chevy there! Best of luck in staying with your farm! According to what I've seen in the news lately, Mugabe has come to the conclusion his land grab may have not been such a great idea economically after all! But, that doesn't mean the land will be returned anytime soon to their rightful owners until he's deposed or otherwise gone!


Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass.
Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,907
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,907
Neat truck! The grill of a '54 with a 2-piece windshield. Were they using up parts? I thought the '54 and '55.1 had the 1-piece windshield.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
Wally,
Read cletis' post above. 54 right hand drive trucks used the earlier style cab.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
Fascinating!

And what is the deal with the huge boat in the background?

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
In Rob's other thread about this truck in the Engine and Driveline forum, Oldsub brought up the question of whether or not a US resto pack for the '54 trucks would apply to this SA-built truck, considering the differences in the cab and bed, and possibly in the mechanicals. This also reiterates one of Rob's original questions, whether the mix of '53 and '54 parts makes sense.

It has been determined that '54 right-drive trucks used the earlier split-windshield cab. What about the bed and/or mechanical parts? Could the remote assembly plants (SA and/or Australia) have used '53 parts, or at least used up leftover '53 parts early in the '54 model year until '54 parts became available, both for body (except cab) and/or mechanical parts?

Anybody know of any other '54 right-drive trucks to look at for comparison?


Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
'Bolters are everywhere!

Welcome Fletch.

-W

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Hi To All

Sorry for another delay in getting onto the site. telephone services went down again. A weekly occurence as the place dissolves.

To answer the boat question, it is a Hagg Fast Pursuit boat. Found it beached in Mozambique, in the Port of Beira, and ex-police boat. Was in excellent condition structurally and bought it for nothing. Some one had been using it as a shanty room through the civil war. The irony being that one of the poorest people in the world, in a country where diesel was like gold, this guy had been living on the boat that had it's tanks full of fuel. Over a thousand litres of the stuff!!He never thought to check! Who would I guess until we used a crane to lift the hull and realised just how heavy it was. Was going to have it as a deep sea fishing boat until I realised I'd probably die before I could finish the thing. It's for sale now...

Enough about boats though.

I have stripped this truck down and I now I have a chassis and nothing else left. The paint is stripped and I'm now making a list of what needs repair. Amazingly the motor needs nothing more than a set of standard rings and a complete set of seals and gaskets! The bore on the cylinders matches with the various specs I've dredged up. Almost as if this engine never did any work. Needs a very light honing and that's all. Quite remarkable, as I can't see any evidence of resleeving.

I have question if any one knows, do the front axles have a curve to them or has my front been bent in what seems a perfectly symmetrical way? It curves to the front of the vehicle. I've taken a straight edge and measured the curve from all perspectives, it is a perfect curve. Which seems to be unlikely that damage can be so regular. Any one know?

Regarding the cab of this truck - Is it therefore correct to say, it has '54 grill on a '53 cab? So the interior of the cab - layout, guages etc are all '53?

I been looking at that grill, thinking it may look kinda pretty in chrome...

Thanks for the input, I'm going to band-aid my knuckles and catch some sleep.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by fletch:
this guy had been living on the boat that had it's tanks full of fuel. Over a thousand litres of the stuff!!
I have a motorhome acquired for parts that came with 50 gallons each of gasoline and propane. Not big money but a nice surpise.

Quote

Regarding the cab of this truck - Is it therefore correct to say, it has '54 grill on a '53 cab? So the interior of the cab - layout, guages etc are all '53?
I think its correct to call it a '54.

However the guages look like '53 in the pictures, and when ordering stuff you may want to call it a '53.

You've got a challenging (in more ways than one) situation. Your truck is in fact a 1954 but various parts are not the same as what we are accustomed to on US and Canadian 1954 trucks.

If you are ordering from African sources will they understand '54 parts the same as we do in the US or based on what was manufactured in South Africa? Your challenge is knowing what to order based on how the vendor will understand what you are looking for.

Can you get an LMC Truck catalog mailed to you? LMC doesn't have the most competitive prices, but they do have excellent illustrations and are very helpful when trying to figure out what you need to order.

With the illustrations of various parts to help understand what could be different between '53 and '54 you might have better success working out what you need to look for...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
If someone hasn't already said this...the front clip is definately '54. The cab is the earlier style, with the exception of the steering wheel and horn button, which are '54. The bed is the earlier model. I'm guessing the frame is the earlier style, too. What engine was in it? 216 or 235?

From what I've heard, I'll go with the idea that it is a '54, but for practical purposes, a lot of those parts are '53 by American standards.

The '54 style grille looks great in chrome - check the Gallery, there are several examples there.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
I bet it's kind of awkward, trying to drive it, & shift with your left hand.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
The engine it came with is a 235 -GMCpanel.

Regarding the awkward shift - I guess it comes down to what you're used to. I've always driven cars which shift with the left hand, so I have never noticed anything awkward about it.

OldSub - Thanks - I'll look into getting that catalog.

Question - what's the best place to order new rings from? Everything I order will have to be ordered from the States, nothing is available in Africa. I'll also have to have it delivered into a neighbouring country and then smuggle it into Zimbabwe. Customs officials are corrupt and usually impound anything coming into the country - from there I would have to "negotiate" the goods to be freed. So everyone is a smuggler. In a place when the Government is the biggest criminal of all, it tends to force the citizens to play their game.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Quote
Originally posted by fletch:
In a place when the Government is the biggest criminal of all, it tends to force the citizens to play their game.
That's true everywhere. grin

As for parts - click on 'Links' at the top of the page here at the 'Bolt. Then click on Parts. The Parts section is arranged in a way that states what year parts that company starts selling parts for... Also check out the links to Truck Sites under 'Links' above.

My parts vendors page(55+ linked) - most of these have been added here on the 'bolt as well now:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/autolinks/trucks/ctgparts.html

More places like the stovebolt page to find information online(scroll down to chevy resource pages):

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/autolinks/trucks.html

A list of where/how to find used pre-1973 GM truck parts.

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/6066trucks/tips/usedparts.html

Good luck...

-W

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 52
Fletch, a good parts book to get is the catalog from www.chevsofthe40s.com. This catalog has a lot of good pictures and some of the truck break down pictures. It might help you in figureing out what you need for your truck. Lots of luck on your good looking truck. smile
Jamo


Growing old is manditory-Growing up is optionial.
Jamo
http://community.webshots.com/user/erics46
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Quote
Originally posted by spanky:
I bet it's kind of awkward, trying to drive it, & shift with your left hand.
Its not that hard to get use to.I had a rt hand drive VW bug and single cab truck when I was a teenager.I plan on getting a 39 Chevrolet Convertible in the future so I will have to get use to it again.


Gangster whites and straight pipes.....
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
In the "never should have sold it" category, my dad had a BMW Isetta. Three person bench seat, the whole front end was the door, and the steering wheel pivoted out when you opened the door.

It was left hand drive, but had a gear shift on the left wall, so you shifted left-handed.

The advantage to the setup was that you could shut the door by pulling on the steering wheel.

And thanks for the boat info.

Sounds like stories I've heard of post-WWII surplus. Big bombers and cargo planes were supposedly bought at auction for the gas in their tanks, then scrapped because heck, who needs a brand new B-17?

eek

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Stories...

I sat in Beira, Mozambique, just before the civil war ended. Picture total devastation, bullet pocked walls and shells of buildings. A place where the populace had eaten every cat and dog in the city. And a vehicle drove past me. Impossible to tell what type. It had no body, just a chassis and motor. The driver was sitting on a plastic school chair and perched on the radiator was a street urchin with a 5 gallon drum of water. And as the vehicle spluttered along at walking pace, the kid constantly topped up the water in the radiator.

There are other such stories, like the bus driven by mine victims. One guy steering and changing gear with no legs, whilst an armless man sat alongside him and used the pedals. Three policeman were travelling on the bus...


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0