Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (51sub),
128
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | I've been wanting to do this for some time. I hope that 10 seconds of a wav sound file isn't too long. I'll pare it down if necessary. I'm on a phone line myself. First, here's a picture of my 261 taken last spring. My 261 Here's it starting (6 volts!). It runs so quitely that you can only hear fan and belt noise. The microphone was near the distributor. 261 Starts and Runs I put the microphone down the breather tube. Don't tell me that you hear something, like that doink-doink, that says it's going to blow up. I want to be surprised! 261 Sounds from the Breather Tube Here's the sound from inside the valve cover. 261 Sounds from Inside the Valve Cover For you engineers: How about a Fourier transform to determine the individual frequencies? 1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 | Number 3 intake is too tight,maybe #5 too | | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I swear that I could hear some imported metal in there, somewhere.
Very cool post !!! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 285 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 285 | Now THAT was one neat post!  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 687 | Wally: I am impressed!! popcorn The Truth is Out There (Also jealous) | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 52 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 52 | Very cool!
First wav file - your starter bearings need lube or your brushes and armature need dressing.
Second wave file - You can actually hear the sound of air displacing in the crankcase between cylinders as pistons reciprocate. Would be much better with a PVC system vented to the intake manifold.
Third wave file - is this after a thorough warm up?
Your microphone would make a good internet diagnostic tool!
Life's short - don't waste it.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | I suppose there is some diagnostic value. I wish I had recorded my old 235 with it's broken ring and scored cylinder from the breather tube. It was warmed up on only a 3-mile drive from work, but that was a guess, right?
The lifters came from Patrick's in Arizona. Does that count as imported? 1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon | | Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 | I take my hat off to you! The unmistakeable sound of a stovebolt being cranked up and running quietly is just warms the cockles of my heart. 
Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!
1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy "Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | Thanks! Making a wav sound file is easier than a jpeg. $10 for a microphone and you can record directly to your PC using the Sound Recorder that is already installed. It helps to use a laptop!
There's the same old problem of getting the file on a host with its own URL. I used a web site that another fellow and I already had. Will Web Shots host wav files? 1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | |
| |