The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (ndkid275, 55shaker, Ridgeback, Woodcmiami, Gib70), 92 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,626
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
I hate the e-brake pedal system on my 54. The crossbar is slowly being sawn in two where it passes through the support bracket. The pinch type holding mechanism has a mind of its own, releasing whenever it feels like it. It rattles.

I know some people have replaced their e-brake pedals with some thing better such as a Lokar unit or something salvaged from a newer car/truck. I prefer to go the salvage route. Can anybody suggest a suitable donor vehicle? Do you have pictures of how the pedal assembly attaches to the kick panel/firewall/dash?


Gord
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
try www.chuckthetruck.homestead.com. he has a whole series on restorations and ebrake is one of them. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
Chuck's using a hand brake. I like that hand brakes don't fling dirt at you like the pedal ones do (when you release them), but it would require me to cut yet another hole in the floor. I would like to patch the hole where the existing pedal goes through and just have a small hole for the cable.


Gord
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
Im using the e-brake assy from a 87 full size blazer ,on my 51 3100. I also used the rear, out of the blazer as well, as the e-brake cables ,works great, old navy51.............

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 255
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 255
If you wanted to stay kinda original looking, the 47 AD pickups have a racheting lever next to the floor mounted shifter that would work great. If your truck has a three speed on the column, you could relocate near the existing floor petal. Many of the big bolts have the same lever that could be salvaged. The early 60's trucks have a lever that mounts under the dash that could be modified very easily to your truck.
Ralph


rtlopez@shipleysystems.com
48 Chevy 3600 w/235
48 Chevy 3100 w/235:
You cant see the smoke on a dirt road.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 336
Thanks, everyone. I was planning to go shopping at the auto wreckers tomorrow, but we have about 10" of new snow. They have lots of 80's GM trucks, so that will probably be the best bet. Some of the Jap trucks had the under dash pull on type levers - I might have a quick look at them. The snow should be gone next weekend ...


Gord
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
fran and gord, i used a ebrake out of a dodge van late seventies i think. the brake usually is horizontally under the dash but i mounted it vertically where the old ebrake was. worked well until i changed to open drive shaft and i never rehooked it. i want the floor brake for looks. good hunting.the brake even maybe 60s, it has been 20 yrs since i got it. a good salvage yard will know. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0