The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, 52Carl, Hotrod Lincoln, TooMany2count, chemanic, 1 invisible), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,418
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 4
V
Junior Member
Junior Member
V Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 4
I have towed a 3000 lb trailer for many years with a carbureted 350 sb/350 th setup in a '52 panel with an aftermarket radiator (US Radiator) a trans cooler, and a large electric fan, but I always run on the hot side (not overheating) at 65 mph on the level or when going up grades in the mouintains. Now I am building a '56 3/4 ton for the same application, with a fuel-injected '94 350 sb and a NV 4500 5 speed. It has a belt-driven fan but, as of yet, no shroud. (The engine I am using ran with an oil cooler in the original '94 one ton donor, and I assume I will do the same, which will help cool it.)

The cross-sectional area of the '56 3/4 ton radiator is more than the '52 1/2 ton had, and it is in good condition, 2" thick.

I would like to know the experience others have had running small blocks in 55-57 trucks with stock radiators vs. aftermarket radiators, esp. in trucks often used to tow. I don't mind spending 4-500 bucks for a custom radiator, but I don't want to do it unecessarily.

Also-- how important is a shroud for this application (mechanical fan) and what brand/supplier would you recommend if I need to get one.

Thanks,

Vttinkerer

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 75
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 75
let me know how you like your NV4500. I'm using the same transmission on my '53 3/4 ton but with a 292 6 cylinder. I'm using a new stock 4pass radiator and an electric fan. Unfortunately I can't tell you how well it cools as my project is unfinished. good luck


'53 chevy 3/4 ton
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 4
V
Junior Member
Junior Member
V Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 4
Well Johnny, you obviously knoow why I went out of my way to use a NV4500-- the low,low 1st, the high, high 5th. I wish I had gotten a later one (the shift effort in 3rd gear is said to be less, and there is a synchro on reverse) but beggars can't be choosers. I have driven a NV4500 quite a bit, though, in a Dodge 3/4 ton truck, and I liked it in that application.

What do you mean by a "4 pass" stock radiator?

vttinkerer


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0