The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Patina 54, 3800GUY), 225 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 279
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 279
I am getting spring fever and at last it is warn enough to work outside without freezing my .... Anyway, I've been thinking about putting the clutch back together in my '53 Chev 3/4-ton. Can't remember which way the clutch plate goes. That's one problem if anyone can help me there. The other is reading the shop manual where it talks about using a dial indicator to check the runout and all that stuff associated with the clutch. How critical is that and can someone explain in better terms than the shop manual how you do it and what you are trying to accomplish doing it? Thanks and may the good weather hold for a few more months!

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
The side that faces the flywheel has the longer "snout" on it where the splines are.

Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
If the clutch worked fine before you tore it apart (other than being worn out) you should be able to go back together. The flywheel should really be resurfaced when you do a clutch job, and checking the runout (wobble) with a dial indicator verifies that it was reinstalled correctly ie. no dirt between the flywheel and the crankshaft flange, ect.

Another thing the shop manual has you check is to make sure the bell housing hole is round (not worn oblong) and that it is centered correctly with the crankshaft. Again, if you weren't having troubles like popping out of high gear and the bell housing was not removed, chances are you are you are good to go back together again.

I kind of like checking stuff out like that (morbid curiousity???) but I don't think I would have the patience for it laying under the pickup in the driveway with a sharp breeze blowing underneath.


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 279
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 279
Thanks for the info. It helps a little, but I should have mentioned everything is out of the truck. I removed the bell housing, clutch and fly wheel when I pulled the old 235 out. It was a '55 235. I now am putting in a '61 235 that did not come with a bell housing, clutch and fly wheel. I would imagine this requires a few more checks, so any advise in that regard would be appreciated. I'm putting ion a new pilot bearing. The throwout bearing appears to be fine. I'm using the same tranny I had which is an SM420. I also see mention of using a clutch aligning tool. I'm not quite sure from reading the shop manual how you use the tool. Lots of questions about this procedure. Thanks again guys.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Replace the throwout bearing now, their cheaper than having to pull the tranny again. Shop I worked at we had to put in a new throwout every time we pulled a tranny, period. If the customer whined to much, the boss ate the cost of the bearing as good business practice. Clutch alignment tools are a few bucks, made out of plastic. Centers the disk on the pilot bearing, makes it easier to stick in the tranny. Rarely see a case on these old engines where you need to check the bell housing alignment, but if you're concerned, find a dial and check it. Most people just stick em together and if there's a problem take it back apart and work on it. But the older I get, the harder it is to pull the tranny and re-align everything. Not worth taking the chance anymore...


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 22
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 22
Rick,
I put a later model bellhousing, 1962 truck, behind a 54 car 235. Also changed out the flywheel and starter. I must have gotten lucky because it bolted up fine with no driveability problems. Definitely replace the pilot bushing. I didn't and got to do it over. A $2.00 part that cost me mucho grief. New throwout bearing also great advice.

I ended up modifying a clutch pilot tool so it would fit properly. You will know the clutch is out of alignement when you spend 30 minutes trying to get the transmission to bolt up and it won't.

A simple way of removing the pilot bushing is filling the bushing with play dough and then hammering a wooden dowel (sized to fit in the pilot bushing hole) which creates enough hydraulic pressure to force the bushing out of the crankshaft end. Wear some goggles as the play dough may spurt out a bit, but it works better than grease.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 279
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 279
Hey thanks for the info guys. I won a bid on ebay for a Lisle clutch alignment tool ($15). Probably didn't need it, but what the heck. As far as a know, it should work for what I need. Thanks again for the advise. wink


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0