The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (52Carl, Wayne67vert, 53 green 1- ton, Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, DadsFirstPickup, greenie-reddy), 67 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16737 07/29/2004 5:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 84
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 84
Hey guys I have a question...I hAVE A CHANCE TO GET A 230 (6) TO PUT IN MY TRUCK 54 CHEVY. I have installed a 250already and this engine has the water pump bolt hole(s) stripped out and the manifold bolt hole(s) stripped. the 230 is coming out of a chevellle who got a v8 upgrade-(not really an upgrade-should've left in the 6!) anyway, what is the major difference in the two engines? is it worth the effort to take the step backwards? Any suggestions or hop up comments would be appreciated- the price is great and it comes with power steering (maybe ac)
thank you everyone!

#16738 07/29/2004 6:14 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
Hmmm, have you thought about re-tapping/re-threading the bolt holes? If it's a good running 250, I don't see anything advantagious about putting a 230 in. A 292 yeah, I'd do the swap.
As far as differences, don't think there's much aside from the obvious. I was buying parts for a 230 for quite some time and then found out I had a 292! If you're already set on doing a swap, I'd try to find a 292 and make it worth your while.


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
#16739 07/29/2004 7:53 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
As a direct answer to your question, it is a direct swap. Same block and attach points.

On the other hand, I would keep the 250 and use Keen-serts to fix the threads that are stripped. Drill a hole the right size and drive in the insert that gives you threads. It's that easy.

The 250 is a better engine than the 230. Better power, and the 230 had a problem with burning holes in factory pistons.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#16740 07/29/2004 8:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
Finding a 230 block that isn't cracked is like looking for a chicken with lips! They had the nasty habit of cracking the block between the valve lifter bores, where it's just about impossible to get a good repair done. Put some Heli-Coil thread inserts in your block, and press on. it's a lot less expensive than a swap, and the 250 is a much better rngine.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#16741 07/30/2004 2:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
If you've still got the stock stump-puller rear-end, I suggest keeping the 250...

I have one in my '72 C-10, and it is a fine engine...

These are all (230/250/292) seven-main bearing engines, and the bottom-ends are nearly bullet-proof.

However, the 292 is a LONG-stroker, and if your truck is spending a lot of time on the highway with that 4.11 rear, the 292 won't like that too much...(neither will your wallet at the gas pump).

I 'd vote for the thread repair if the rest of your engine is in decent shape...

If the 230 is in good condition, it might be a good runner, but it'd be worth tearing down for inspection before dropping it in...

So now I'll ask the question: what's involved in putting a 230/250 into an AD chassis (let's say '54 - '55 first) ?


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
#16742 07/30/2004 7:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 84
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 84
thank you all for the wondeful replys...
I guess I'l be sticking with the 250 for now. I will look up the keen-serts and heli-coil and try one of them out. As for the second part of the ? To put a 250 in a ad truck (54) which is what I have attempted to do is alot of work. (honestly) I bought new engine mounts from Tom over at Langdon's Stovebolt, cast iron headers, ball milled alum. valve and side covers, aluminum water heated manifold from cliffords,Holley carb from Moon eyes, new lokar shifter, new gas pedal,new boooster for 4 wheel disc brake, disc brake rear 2:37 gears, 2004r tranny, disc brake kit (frt)Painless 21 cir wiring kit- new tranny mount tubular.new kick down cable,throttle cable,brake lines,fuel lines,under bed gas tank,electric fuel pump-red(holley), tranny cooler and the list goes on just like putting a V8. I must say you can do things different, IE...drum rear brakes, keep it almost stock,But what fun would that be- I also added duel exhaust with smittys and flame throwers. I plan to add a cpp drop axle and a 4 link rear/suicide doors and pop locks. In the process now of suicide job will put up some pics of the progress- hopefully by christmas my baby will be almost done- but when are they ever truely done! Thanks for the support guys and ladies- remember keep the wife happy and she will take good care of you! By the way I'm married to my Truck!
Thanks again


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0