The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
13 members (Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, TUTS 59, Jon G, Joe H, HandyAndy, greenie-reddy, Simso, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck, Gib70, 3B, 1 invisible), 123 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,103
Posts1,056,183
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
HI...just got a rubber starter pedal pad part number 40-311 from Chevy Duty...it has a hole in the back and no instructions on how to install it. I thought it was suppose to fit over my starter pedal steel pad to give a better grip when my boot bottoms are wet...any ideas it says fits 47-54?????THANKS,Steve :rolleyes:

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Steve,

I think it screws onto the linkage that sticks through the floor. If you look in the hole in your new part, I'll bet you can see threads. A big pipe wrench will loosen the one on there now. Sure hope I remembered this correctly. smile

Stuart

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Hi Steve,,,that "wrinkly" rubber boot just fits over the foot stomper shaft,,,not over the actual button. Its made to keep the under hood fumes from entering the cab.
You can unscrew just the round button from the shaft and slip the rubber thing over the shaft
and tuck the floor end under the mat.
Does that make sense???
Good Luck,Marty

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Marty,

I think he bought the pad, not the bellows...but much more importantly, this post is #3000 for yours truly! smile

Stuart

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
WOW!!!!! 3,000 Add another Extreme Gabster to the wall of fame!!!!
Congratulations!!!!
Marty

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Steve, the pad isn't threaded, just a streight hole in the rubber. However it will pick up and follow the fine threads on the shaft. Just start screwin' it on while puttin' a little down pressure on it. Once it catches keep tunin' it till ya think it's about to bottom out.
Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
Hey all.... thanks for the great help and YEP its the pad not the bellows. Marty ....I have never seen a wrinkly rubber try more expensive ones?.....automarc 3,000 that's a lot of help you have given us! THANKS, Steve

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Extreme Gabster must be getting cheaper - looks like you don't need 3,000

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
OK,,i looked up the rubber pad youre talking about,,ive never seen one of those on a truck foot starter before. I guess as Denny G says,just lay into it and start twistin.........
Happy Truckin,Marty

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I go along with ya there Marty. I'm kinda new to these trucks, but based on the nine zillion pictures, and hand full of manuals that I have seen, I ‘m pretty darn sure the starter was originally just that metal button. When I first brought her home I thought it had a pad just like the brake and clutch pedals and that the rubber pad had simply worn off. When I got the new one, I expected it to snap over the button, instead I got a big old chunk of rubber with a plain old hole in it.
I figured it was just another one of those poor reproductions and that they had eliminated the metal to save a buck. If you were submitting the truck for judging my guess would be they would want to see the bare metal button.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Got a '50---been in the family all these years & I personally know it never had a rubber pad on the starter pedal. It came factory with the round steel button (with the pyramidal projections on the surface).


"Age is only relative- - -It's just that some of us have more relatives than others"
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,154
OK....I'm leaving the button alone no rubber pad for me if its not stock....anyone need a rubber pad? THANKS, Steve

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
I have never seen the starter rubber pad and I often think the aftermarket guys might "invent" parts for our trucks that never were. I could be wrong here but were there ever gaskets between the end of the running boards and the rear fenders? Or gaskets between the headlight rings and the fenders? How about the rubber pad that fits between the hood emblem and the hood?


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Yes: 1. gaskets between the end of the running boards and the rear fenders : Anti-squeak, tar-paper-like "gasket".

2. gaskets between the headlight rings and the fenders?
Yes - between bucket and body (flat gasket - rubber)
Yes - between trim ring and bucket (no gasket but a rubber coated wire seal - Steele Rubber sells a non-original better rubber seal)

No: 3. rubber pad that fits between the hood emblem and the hood?

No: 4. starter rubber pad (button at top of push-rod/shaft)

Yes: 5. starter push-rod/shaft bellows/boot

Almost all the above items are shown in the 47-55 Factory Assembly Manual (not the headlight trim-ring to bucket seal).

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Now I can take all those what I called "different" gaskets and use them!!


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0