The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, Still At It), 159 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
I pulled the gauge cluster out of my '65 truck to clean it up. There was a WHOLE lot of dust back in there.

In the mean time I have repainted the interior with Rustoleum aluminum (looks good) so that the dash is a bit brighter.

But, the colored lenses for gen, oil, hot and cold have all suffered a lot of sun damage...they are faded out in the shape of the gauge cluster cover.

Where can I get something to replace those little bits of colored plastic? I need some in red and some in green.

Anyone tried this?

Dave


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Go to the closest hobby shop and get a sheet of .020" clear sheet plastic and some transparent red and green model paint. I used sheet plastic to make the filters for the turn indicators for my dash. I did take a liberty and used blue instead of the correct green, but that was more of a personal preference thing. Sheet plastic and paint is pretty cheap, easy to cut, too. Just work with it as far as # of paint coats to get what you feel looks right.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Great idea "longbox55", but just one thing. Did you mean translucent instead of transparent?


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
Hey Bill, that seems to have worked so far. I found a hobby/modeler shop. (Not a hobby lobby) They had clear plastic in two thicknesses, I went with the thicker stuff that was close to the lenses that came out.

Next I bought a small modeler's can of candy apple red and another of green spray paint.

I used the old lenses as a template to cut around to shape the new plastic. The chicken shears that came with my kitchen knife set worked great at cutting.

First experiment didn't work out so good as my flat clear enamel didn't work at all with the spray paint.

The next attempt worked better. (I just left off the flat which I wanted to use to add some fuzzyness to the lens so as not to see the bulb behind the paint.) After six coats (every 30 mins or so) of candy apple red the lens was the right color and not actually see through anymore.

The green was a little more difficult and required a couple more coats to get a decent color and translucency (?).

Now I will rebuild the cluster, should work out great. I'll post pics after it is in if people are interested.

Dave


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I did mean transparent. Most hobby paints son't come in a tranlucent, though there are some in hobby acrylic, but they don't stick to the plastic very well.
When I did mine, I painted them from the backside. Perhaps the clear flat might work if you did it on the opposite side from the paint. That'll put a layer of plastic between the finishes.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
Here's my dash from my '65 that I cleaned up. For the directional arrows and the two red indicator lights (which aren't used but fell apart as soon as I touched them) I was able to get replacement parts from one of the Chevy truck catalog companies out of California. The green caps (about 1" in diameter) came with replacement light tubes. For the red I was able to buy '67-'72 tubes with the red caps on them. I bought a new plexiglas overlay and painted the indicator needles on the gauges.

Here is the end result.
http://laanderud.com/65chevy/misc/gaugecluster.jpg

Lee


-----------
1965 Chevy C-10 Gallery page
My Chevy truck pages more info and pictures!
1961 Studebaker Hawk
1962 Shasta 16' AirFlyte Travel Trailer
1941 Case Model S tractor
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
Wow Lee....yours is fancier than mine. I have like half that many gauges...and only two needles...speedo and fuel.

I'm jealous.

Anyway, as for the green turn signal lenses....mine were oxidized and had this kind a whitish film (old plastic) on them. I used 1200 wet sand paper for a bit and then some rubbing compound to clean them up. They are shinier than when original...but no longer have that oxidized layer on them.


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
What can I say... got lucky and found one with a factory tach (repros are now available) and added a Pontiac/Oldsmobile vacuum gauge. I like gauges.

One to watch on E-Bay right now for $50:
http://tinyurl.com/33qgnh

Lee


-----------
1965 Chevy C-10 Gallery page
My Chevy truck pages more info and pictures!
1961 Studebaker Hawk
1962 Shasta 16' AirFlyte Travel Trailer
1941 Case Model S tractor

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0