Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (fonz8261, jmoore, Hotrod Lincoln, Woodcmiami, Ludwig.van.dille, Shaffer's1950, 1 invisible),
73
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,077 Posts1,056,280 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | I needed to repair some wide cracks in my steering wheel and didn't know what to use ... so, naturally, I came here and found my answers. I can't remember or find the thread that helped me out, so I'm posting a new one here, in Interiors. Someone mentioned that JB Weld was a good way to go, so I called my local auto parts store and found JB Stick Weld -- excellent! You can't get any quicker and easier than this! Check It Out -- Click Here
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | Alan, I used JB Weld on mine a couple weeks ago and agree it filled cracks well. I v'ed mine out they weren't as severe as yours with a Dremel. It's a little harder to sand and I'm not completely done. I primed and still need to patch a little more of course directions for JB Weld say remove all paint. It dries very hard and I think it'll work fine. Haven't posted pics to my Webshots but eventually will. Good Luck Dan | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 586 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 586 | Alan,Eastwood makes a kit that comes with all the things you need to do a first class job.I used it on my Studebaker steering wheel and it turned out fine.I did have some paint adhesion problems until I used Fusion rattle can paint.
Wanted Good Woman: Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 | there also is the brand, Bulldog adhesion promoter, found at auto paint stores, heard it workds good.
Mike | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 96 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 96 | I bought some good quality 5 minute epoxy, from a plastics specialty store, and filled all the cracks in my wheel and sanded them down and painted the wheel with tremclad. I did this with the wheel attached to the column. It looks ok but later on I will remove the wheel(now that I know how to ) and re-sand it and spray paint it. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Plane old epoxy resin is very brittle and really doesn’t have much strength, just like plane old cement doesn’t have much strength. The strength comes from the matrix of sand, gravel and cement to make concrete. Epoxy works the same way, if you use it to bind a filler such as carbon, glass, metal etc., together it works great. Alan’s use of JB Weld is an example of metal filler suspended in an epoxy resin, very strong in compression but the resin may not be formulated to be flexible. 5Min epoxy applied to close fitting parts with enough area in tension is also quite strong. The peel strength of it however is almost nil also it is quite brittle also. With out a filler I would expect 5min epoxy to fracture from any flexing, with a filler in it I believe basically have the same product as JB Weld. The product Eastwood is selling to repair steering wheels should have a filler in it similar to the original compound, also the epoxy should be formulated to flex to some degree. The excellent reports I have heard about this product would lead me to believe that their product is properly formulated and that they did do their homework. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 113 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 113 | I bought some of the steering wheel repair epoxy from Classic Parts of America for about $7. It looks like it is working great but I only got about $1 worth out of it before it hardened in the container to the point I couldn't work with it anymore.The instructions say to mix it all in the little cup they give you but then you have a choice of working really fast and sloppy or only using a little bit and throwing the rest away. I finished what I didn't get done with JB weld based on what I learned on here and side by side on the same steering wheel I would say the epoxy from Classic parts looks slightly better but not enough to give up the ease of use and price of the JB weld. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 59 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 59 | I used the POR-15 steering wheel kit on my 58 Lincoln 2-dr coupe and the fillers so far have worked great . Still have'nt got to the final paint yet. Any tips on what type of paint to use ?
1965 C-10 fleetside shortbed BLACK 82 c-10 longbed 6 cyl. 58 Lincoln 2-dr coupe Black w/white & blk. 59 lincoln 4-dr. parts car
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | I used JB weld on my 54....spent too much time getting it right....all sanded and sprayed with vinyl spray paint. It looked great, hung it up in my shop to dry. Realized a couple hours later I hadn't shut off my big compressor....wakes up the neighborhood...so I go out there, didn't bother to turn on the lights.....bumped the wheel with my head...and the whole thing hit the floor. To make a long story shorter.....didn't even turn on the lights to look. Next morning noted that every bit of JB weld I had so carefully applied, shaped, and finished was on the floor. Popped right out! I got a specific wheel repair kit from C/Duty.....hasn't fallen out yet, but I haven't dropped it!!!! Live and learn! Dave  | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 | Hey Dave... Sorry to hijack this thread but you reminded me of a funny story with your steering wheel.. Back in my counter-culture days, I was driving down the road and saw my buddy's shag van crashed in a ditch...it was close to his house so I drove over there, knocked on the door, and my buddy finally answered after 5 minutes, wearing only a pair of jeans. I asked him how he wrecked his van and he replied in a stupor...I didn't wreck my van...I looked down at his chest and there was a perfect imprint of a steering wheel bruise starting to form...wish there was such a thing as a cell phone camera back then To answer the original question...I used both mentioned products on the same wheel and had cracks starting to show after a few months. I guess I did't prep it well enough. 
Blue 50
1950 3100 w/57 235 Patrick’s Saginaw 4 speed and 3:55 rear end | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 595 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 595 | por-15 is probably your best bet for steering wheel repair/resto. lacquer was used for many years but urethane is bulletproof and the way to go unless you are doing a concours 100 point restoration. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | I used the same acrylic enamel paint & primer I used on the rest of the interior, so far so good. Used the "steering wheel repair epoxy" from Classic Parts of America. Brian | | |
| |