Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,523 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 17 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 17 | My original bench seat has a 10 inch rip and the foam is cracked at the rip.The foam is powdery too. Can I patch it, or should I replace all the foam? What foam do I use and where do you get it? Thanks, guys!
ct5philos
1955 Chevy Cameo 1946 Chevy 3800 stakebed 1949 Studebaker 2R5 1953 Ford Mainline 1962 Studebaker GT Hawk 1962 Studebaker Daytona
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | check yer phone book for an upholstery shop that does auto and boat work, they'll have the right foam - you'll be happier with all new foam
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 | The original seat in my '51 had Burlap over the spring, 1" of cotton batting and 1" of foam. When I reupholstered the seats I replaced the burlap and batting with something reccomended by the upholstery shop that looked like a blanket of different colored stuff (like a carpet pad), and 2" of firm foam. It was about about $50 for the foam and other stuff for just the bottom, $100 for bottom and back.
Upholstery foam ain't cheap, but you really appreciate the difference between it and the original stuff.
The seat covers I got from Jim Carter were nice but $140. So, I paid $250 and I could have paid $325 including materials to have someone else re-upholster the seat.
Next time, I'll have someone else reupholster my seat. It'll be about the same cost and lots less effort.
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | replace it cause your a$$ sits there and it will love the feel otherwise you'll complain about how you could have but did not. my .02
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | Before you decide on the thickness, have your upholsterer lend you a slab of 2" and another 3" then put it on the seat and sit there for a spell. There's a big difference between the two. I liked the extra height I got from the 3" and my gut is still on the verge so I fit comfortably behind the steering wheel with the added height. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 17 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 17 | Great thought, Larry! Thanks!
ct5philos
1955 Chevy Cameo 1946 Chevy 3800 stakebed 1949 Studebaker 2R5 1953 Ford Mainline 1962 Studebaker GT Hawk 1962 Studebaker Daytona
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | I used a great "how to" article on replacing the seat back springs by screwing a 3/4" piece of plywood to the seatback and using poturpedic (sp) foam on the wood. Not only do you get a thinner seat with more room, it's 100% more comfortable. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 125 6 heaven | | 6 heaven Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 125 | Where is the article located at? Sounds interesting. Give us more detail on how you did it. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 128 | HI,
I read your post on using posturpedic foam on the seat back. I want to do the same. Can you let me know where can I purchase this foam? I did a search on the web, and only came up with a bunch of links for Sealy posturpedic mattresses. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | try searching for "memory foam" ... caution if yer sensitive to chemicals, memory foam gasses off strongly, and for a long time
Bill | | |
| |