The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (2-Ton, TUTS 59, 55shaker), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,685
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164248 04/06/2006 4:03 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
I have had my 55 2nd series sb for 11 years..finally have all done but interior..need seat ideas for this vehicle..would like an original type, but they seem hard to find..current seat is not original and nothing special..would prefer a split bench,but could do buckets, but either way do not want electric...gas tank is out..just found this site and any suggestions for what would fit best would be appreciated..thanks

#164249 04/07/2006 1:45 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
Well if you want something really comfortable and looks nice try Glide engineering.

#164250 04/09/2006 4:19 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
Post an ad on the Wanted Board. I was talking to a fellow Bolter in AL a couple of weeks ago who has a 55-56 he is thinking of parting out.


Bruce
Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten)
New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe
The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
#164251 04/11/2006 2:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The middle row seats from a 93-99 suburban fit well and although they do not give you any forward back slide adjustment, they do flip up and fold forward for great access to the area under and behind the seat. They also have a nice arm rest.

#164252 04/12/2006 5:07 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
(* Turris Ford work find 98 buckets


dan-pa
#164253 04/12/2006 6:25 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
How much work do you want to do? I wanted a bench seat for my 50 pu and spent the day measuring at least a hundred seats in three salvage yards. Couldn't find a perfect match, but really liked the early 90's chevy pickup benches. Only problem 3" too wide. Bought a seat, cut 3" out of the middle and had it recovered. Looks like factory, and the mounting was as simple as bolting it to the floor. I did look long and hard at the Glide Engineering seats. Between the seat assy and the foam you will spend about $1000.00, and still have to get it covered. I spent less than $350.00. John

#164254 04/13/2006 12:55 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
John-

That is genius! I would have never thought of it! The seat frames are metal and would be easy to cut with a cut off wheel and then weld back together!

I'm just looking for a seat back with head rests that is 2 or 3 inches thinner than the stock one to give me more clearance behind the wheel and whiplash safety. I have not found one that is a perfect match but found plenty that were too wide. Now I know what to do!

Thanks!!!


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
#164255 04/13/2006 6:13 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
just a note that I am really appreciating all these ideas/comments

#164256 04/13/2006 6:39 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
I used GMC van seats - power for driver - individual arm rests - made the big 1 ton a lot more comfortable to drive.

I have heard tahoe seats with built in shoulder straps are nice too. I am lookin for that for my 72 truck.

#164257 04/13/2006 6:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
NM51, If you narrow a seat you also have to narrow the foam, and it's molded around some of the seat frame. Split the foam and pull it out of the way for welding then glue it back together with some 3M spray trim adhesive. I forget the part number, but it's the heavy duty stuff. Also, when you section the foam leave it about an inch wide. Use the same glue, the compression from the extra inch of foam will assure good contact and a strong bond. It's amazing what you can do with a sawz-all, a welder, and some imagination. John

#164258 04/18/2006 2:52 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 28
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 28
RWS
I put a '91 chevy bench seat in mine. Almost a bolt in, just had to drill a couple holes!


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0