The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (CandoBrent, 2 invisible), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
I have the armrests off, and I have the panels unscrewed on the bottom. So...how do they come off? The bottom is loose, but its secure at the top. I have odd red fabric quilted panels that I am sure were redid (or GM had some really UGLY color combos, I have the funky medium olive metallic green truck) that have a chrome trim piece on the top of the panel. So, are there screws under that? Or are there clips? Or is it like my mercury where the panel is screwed in at the bottom, but when you lift it up, it unhooks at the top?

Thanks O river of knowledge!

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
They are held in with " Christmas Tree " type clips. You have to pry them out (Very carefully) from behind the panel with a interior trim tool. (Looks like a mini flat bar with a slot in it for the clip) The clips may be brittle with age so you may have to replace them. LMC truck has em in their catalog for .45 ea. Good luck.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
OoooooooOOOOoooooooh. I knew that. wink

Thanks mucho Shipwright. Very helpfull.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
just break/cut them and buy new ones. it is much easier and it will be much more solid when you put it back together.


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Well....turns out they had this chrome cover on the top of the panel. And this was covering up chrome sheet metal screws on one side, and regular screws on the other. There was this icky red quilted fabric cover applied to original door covers, but I don't think they came from this truck. The covers are blue and my truck is that funky green.

I kept prying on them until I saw the threads of one screw and thought 'what the he...?' Then lifted the cover and there they were.

I have the interior emptied out enough that I can now paint it white and scrambootch the green. :p

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
FYI. Hint from restoration publication I read recently--try using big flat hood insulation fasteners to attach door panels when the cardboard backing is hogged out, torn, or in poor shape. It works. grin


1956 Chevy 3100
261/700r4 (formerly 3 speed OD)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Noted, Thanks Arch. I haven't decided what that will get. I did get some white paint in the interior, but my stupid pressure remote head gun is giving me problems and tomorrow it's going to rain so i'll be taking a break from it for a while. At least I got the cab back/bed front painted so I don't have to deal with that.


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0