The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (3B, Bill Hanlon, TooMany2count, Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M, GDW, 1 invisible), 114 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,460
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#162241 01/25/2004 8:11 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 14
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 14
Does anyone know where I can find a heater core for a 1953 Chevrolet truck? Mine is leaking. The radiator shop tells me they can't repair it.

#162242 02/01/2004 5:25 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 40
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 40
Check out Vintage Air

#162243 02/01/2004 8:32 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Is it a deluxe heater?
If so, there are replacement cores available, just not widely available.
I know because my radiator man recored mine. He said that only one place in the US was making those cores, and that place was in Maine. Needless to say, it was not exactly cheap.

#162244 02/02/2004 6:42 AM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 60
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 60
Melvin,

Check with bowtie bits, the last time i was there he had about 500 + heater assy's & parts.
1.888.838.6887
[email protected]

TRUCKMAN


FRAMEUP TRUCKS - 47/55.1ST
STILL PLAYING WITH TRUCKS
#162245 02/10/2004 1:44 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 17
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 17
Maine Radiator in Lewiston Maine may be able to help you out. They carry complete cores. Not sure if they will sell to an individual though might have to have some business like Radiator or body shop.

#162246 02/10/2004 4:48 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 129
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 129
I'm surprised that your radiator shop can not send it out to be re-cored.

When I took my heater core from my 59 GMC into a small town rad shop they tested it, told me it was unrepairable and that a re-core would be $100 and they would have it in tomorrow if that is what I wanted to do.


Blaine Dumkee
59 GMC 9314
Fort Smith NT
www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
#162247 02/16/2004 1:38 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 14
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 14
Thanks to everyone that responded. I'll check these out. Thank You

#162248 02/24/2004 11:13 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
Melvin I have a heater core. grin I will part with it.


dan-pa
#162249 03/06/2004 5:16 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Golden State Parts have heater cores for sale. http://www.golden-state-parts.com/


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#162250 03/06/2004 6:53 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
I couldn't find any heater cores in Golden State's online catalog - only a bunch of expensive heaters.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#162251 03/07/2004 5:02 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you search for the thread on this, there is a place in the new England area that sells the cores. I am talking about the round cores. I did my own repair because the local rad shop was no help and I didn't want to spend the money for a new one.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#162252 03/07/2004 8:22 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Oh - I was talking about the deluxe square heater core. A local rad shop wanted over $100 for a new one, which seemed a bit ridiculous to me - it is only a little bitty radiator, not a block of gold.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#162253 03/07/2004 2:06 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Just for comparison, I think the new cores for the round ones cost around $300, if I remember correctly. That is for a non deluxe heater which does not bring in fresh air!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#162254 03/09/2004 11:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Golden State Parts 2004-5 catalog has heater cores on page 44, but they are not too cheap either. They range in price from $225 to $300 and all require a refundable $50 core charge. If you are interested I could scan the page and send it to you via email. I found a heater core on ebay for my Fresh Air Heater, which is supposed to fit 51-55 heaters. The heater-core for this type heater goes for $225 + core at GS.


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
I made my own round heater core out of flexible copper tubing and some other copper pipe parts, angles and T's. It works okay, good enough to keep the cab on my '51 3100 comfortable. And it will never leak again. Just installed and test drove it but did not run up to full speed. It may work better when I get the water hotter.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 239
I have a '55 1st series with a fresh air heater. My radiator shop ordered a new core from somewhere on the east coast. It cost me $219 for the repair. Nothing like having a good heater in the winter.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
I have found some of the old Harrison heaters, 47-53 at swap meets, most of the time for under $20 or so. It's a risk but at least you get the heater core. Checked at an older radiator shop in Ft Worth, the old man knew what I was talking about(the round core) said no charge for checking for leaks, and about $35 for a repair job. Something to keep in mind rather than spending big bucks for a repo core.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 49
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 49
classic parts america has them for 170 as does chevs of 40s for same price.

has anyone bought one?
who made it?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
As was asked in your other post:

For what style heater?

For what year heater?


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0