1947 3100 steering wheel question. I am having trouble with the horn contact spring/pin on my truck. I have a new contact spring/pin but it seems like the hole in the steering wheel is bigger than it should be and the pin does not make contact for the horn and then disengage when released. It actually slips down in the hole and gets hung up. Not sure if the steering wheel spring hole needs an insert/sleeve or can be repaired by a machinist. Thanks!
A couple pictures to show what you’re describing would help folks understand better what you have.
That would improve the possible success of solutions that can be suggested.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I put a 59 wheel on my 53 for the turn signals. It had a simular problem with the little button thing that goes in the wheel. It was worn and let the thing get cockeyed and wouldn't keep contact. I cleaned the hole and hit it with some 120 grit and then put a coat of PC-7 epoxy on it. Then I drilled it back out the right size. It works just fine now. I put a 15" wheel on it and made the whole outer ring and outer spokes out of PC-7. 3/8" steel inner core from another wheel. I guess it's called a horn contact pin.
If you look on page 85 of the LMC Truck catalog there are 3 steering wheels displayed at the top of the page. My steering wheel would be item 1 and the little spring bushing is item 14 except the spring bushing on my steering wheel actually has brass contacts at top and bottom connected by a brass spring.