I have a 53’ 3100 with a 235 engine. My problem is the Carter YF carburetor has been rebuilt more times than Phyllis Diller’s face. It is a manual choke and an oil bath air cleaner sits nicely on top. Are there any options besides getting a rebuilt one and hoping I’m not just inheriting someone else’s problems? It doesn’t look like Holly or Edelbrock make anything that will work. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Well, there’s always the Rochester B. As our leader here has said “ Thousands of them still soldier on atop Stovebolt Sixes around the world”. And they’re easy to find and to rebuild. Hope I’m not stirring up the dreaded debate on this, in an already polarized world!😂
~Charley 1954 Chevy 3100 with 235 “Bud” Follow along in the DITY 1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230 1954 GMC 3 ton 302 And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996
I rebuilt a Carter YF about 4 years / 10,000 miles ago with a proper kit from Jon/carbking/The Carburetor Shop. It was easy to do and has been working perfectly ever since on E-10 fuel exclusively.
Unless you know for a fact that all the parts on your carburetor are correct for your engine, you might be trying to rebuilkd a Frankencarb with incorrect metering rod, etc.
I originally had a YF with 1950s and 1960s Willys parts that was not correct for the Chevrolet 216.
Once I got that situation resolved, rebuilding it with CORRECT parts from The Carburetor Shop, it has performed flawlessly.
Post all the numbers on the bowl, base, etc. here so that Jon/carbking can determine whether or not you actually have a YF that's designed for a 235.
What kind of problems are you experiencing?
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I also rebuilt the Carter YF that came on my 216 with a kit from carbking. And he also advised me on increasing the diameter of the metering jets to account for the increase in displacement to about 230 when I installed a 235 crank in it. Works very nicely with no issues. A YF for a 216 will have 964S stamped on the body, while a YF for a 235 will be stamped 210(x)S
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Manuel choke carbs are difficult to find and the ones on e bay are hit and miss as far as the proper parts and the ones that are proper go for a lot .First I would identify what Carter carb you have then take it from there to see if you have a good core ,I think they can be rebuilt over and over as long as the core is good .They do seem to be a popular carb for the 235 .
I first ran a Rochester B on my '60 235 and switched to a Carter YF 2100. I struggled with the Rochester - long starting while cranking and cranking the starter, had to feather the gas pedal to raise the rpm at stop signs/lights, too much gas pedal and it would die,... On the other hand, the Carter has been a blessing. Stomp the starter for one second and my engine starts right up, push on the gas when taking off at stop signs/lights with no issues,... Also, I converted my oil bath air filter to a regular paper element.
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine Here We Go Follow in his DITY Bay
- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!