I had a 235 built by engine builder whose company I don’t want to divulge. A few weeks back I was finally able to start it up for the first time. First, I pressure oiled it and confirmed that oil was getting up to the rockers. While breaking it in I noticed a small amount of water coming out the exhaust. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but every successive start up the water got increasingly worse and started coming out of the road draft tube. I then preformed a leak down test and found that number three cylinder was blowing bubbles into the coolant.
I contacted the engine builder and explained what was going on. He had a hunch that the head had a porosity problem and he would replace the head. He said to go ahead, pull it apart and to let him know what I see.
When apart, I found three bent pushrods, a rusty cylinder and a cylinder head with porosity.
For the past two days I’ve been leaving voice messages, with no response. I’m thinking this engine builder is a lost cause and I’m going to have to kiss my money goodbye.
My question is…..can someone recommend a dependable, competent engine builder out there? I live in California, so I’m looking for someone near the west coast, but if the engine builder comes highly recommended I will move out further.
As always, any help would be appreciated.