Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (GRNHydra, 1955 1 Series, NAPCOStormTrpr, joe apple, Charles in CA, klhansen, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, 1 invisible),
101
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 | Good evening, I need some recommendations in Phoenix Arizona. That works on a 3 speed transmission want to do a full service and a reseal plus front and rear main seal. It's a 1949 chevy 3100 but has a 235 in it i don't know what kind of transmission only know its a 3 speed.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by Oskee1415; 10/02/2026 1:45 PM. Reason: For got to put engine and year
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,842 | What year make and model? What engine?
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 | Sorry its 1949 chevy 3100 with a 235 in it. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,940 Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT | | Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,940 | Welcome to Stovebolt Oskee!  Can we presume that it's still a closed drive line "torque tube" transmission? Do you have it pulled out, or are you looking for someone that will do that, the work on the transmission itself and reinstall? These are known as SM318 3 speeds and if you've got some mechanical skills, are relatively easy to rebuild/refresh on your own. Lots of resources and previous discussions about that here, plus we can often help you find the parts needed for the work. Let us know more please. 
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100Follow this story in the DITY Gallery"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,842 | Oskee, This shop is in Tuscon but the recommendation comes from a person I trust, former Air Force jet mechanic, Russ Austin and builder of 1963 and 1964 Cadillacs in Tuscon, AZ. A 100 mile drive might be worth the trip to have reliable, competent work done on your engine. www.thecadishack.comGary's Machine Shop 1920 E 17th St Tuscon, AZ 85719
520-748-7681
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 | Thank you for the information. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 | Welcome to Stovebolt Oskee!  Can we presume that it's still a closed drive line "torque tube" transmission? Do you have it pulled out, or are you looking for someone that will do that, the work on the transmission itself and reinstall? These are known as SM318 3 speeds and if you've got some mechanical skills, are relatively easy to rebuild/refresh on your own. Lots of resources and previous discussions about that here, plus we can often help you find the parts needed for the work. Let us know more please.  Hello, yes its still a torque tube transmission drive line. No i need someone to pulled it out and do the work and reinstall. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,940 Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT | | Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,940 | Oskee, This shop is in Tuscon but the recommendation comes from a person I trust, former Air Force jet mechanic, Russ Austin and builder of 1963 and 1964 Cadillacs in Tuscon, AZ. A 100 mile drive might be worth the trip to have reliable, competent work done on your engine. www.thecadishack.comGary's Machine Shop 1920 E 17th St Tuscon, AZ 85719
520-748-7681Otto - I just did a bit of web checking on your suggested Machine Shop. Everything I find suggest they specialize in "engines", which you did refer to in your reply. Nothing mentioned about "transmissions", like what "Oskee1415" is seeking here, or other "drive line" work. Do you know something that isn't general public knowledge on the work they take on???  Just don't want to send "Oskee1415" on a wild goose chase if they don't work on transmissions. 
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100Follow this story in the DITY Gallery"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2026 Posts: 5 | Oskee, This shop is in Tuscon but the recommendation comes from a person I trust, former Air Force jet mechanic, Russ Austin and builder of 1963 and 1964 Cadillacs in Tuscon, AZ. A 100 mile drive might be worth the trip to have reliable, competent work done on your engine. www.thecadishack.comGary's Machine Shop 1920 E 17th St Tuscon, AZ 85719
520-748-7681Otto - I just did a bit of web checking on your suggested Machine Shop. Everything I find suggest they specialize in "engines", which you did refer to in your reply. Nothing mentioned about "transmissions", like what "Oskee1415" is seeking here, or other "drive line" work. Do you know something that isn't general public knowledge on the work they take on???  Just don't want to send "Oskee1415" on a wild goose chase if they don't work on transmissions.  Thank you but I did reached out to the shop. They told me they only specialize on Cadillac only. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,842 | Sorry about that. When you said front and rear main seal I thought you were referring to the main seals in an engine.
I didn't realize they only did Cadillacs, though. I should have been more specific when I asked Russ. He just assumed I was asking about Cadillacs and I assumed an engine is an engine!
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,502 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,502 | I can't find the name but I was told a year or so ago there is a man in Phoenix (or maybe Tempe). I heard he was a very honest and capable guy. Seems like it was a simple name and very short like Bob's or Jim's...something like that. If I find it I'll post it. The guy was not young but he was supposed to be really good on manual transmissions. Not that this transmission is difficult to work on. I've done a number of them myself. Once upon a time you could still find gears and parts from Wade's Transmission & Gear here in Dallas. They do excellent work on flywheels...but they're here and not in Phoenix.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | |
| |