The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Hanlon, MRMEROTH11, JW51, Mike Burns, KEVINSKI), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,396
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 663
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 663
Ok,
I'm stuck . How does the passenger latch come out / free of the door on my 1950 3100?
Seems like everything is apart?

Thank you.
Todd
Attachments
20261001_175008.jpg (192.12 KB, 49 downloads)

Last edited by Shaffer's1950; 10/02/2026 12:56 AM.

1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
With the window all the way up, the latch should fall down to the bottom of the door and then out the lower opening. No?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Just because I can't see from this one picture, did you remove the exterior key lock mechanism? headscratch

If every other pieces of hardware securing the latch to the door is removed, from what can be seen in this picture, that's the only thing I can think of to possibly keep it from coming out.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Dan probably has the solution. The key lock has to come out. It's held in place by a sheet metal keeper that's under the weatherstrip. Here's the page from the service manual.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
I totally forgot about the door lock and its metal keeper.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 663
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 663
The Lock is OUT . The handle removed. All screws are out.
It seems like the metal window channel? Is holding it in place?
Todd
I'll try and get a picture.
Attachments
20261002_095547.jpg (188.84 KB, 13 downloads)

Last edited by Shaffer's1950; 10/02/2026 4:56 PM.

1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Todd - Snap shot from the 1948-51 Chevy Shop Manual. I think you skipped step # 3. wink
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 663
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 663
Dan, correct!!!
I did not remove it...
I guess I'll do that tomorrow.
Thank you.

Backstory: the door started to "Click" open while driving. The door was still "Closed" but half open is the way I can describe it..
Latch is loose.. it's either broke or worn out.. I know I replaced a spiral spring or two but I don't remember if it was the Driver's door or Passenger side latch.


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Sounds like the lock is worn and releasing to the safety catch. When you get it out, check the areas marked by the arrows on the attached. The lever shown with the red arrow should have a sharp corner on it where it contacts the latch cam, and the latch cam (yellow arrow) should have noticeable serrations along it. That's what keeps the latch cam from rotating and releasing. I think that if you lock the door with the inside handle that also prevents the latch cam from releasing.

I forgot about having to remove the window run channel as well.
Attachments
Lock.jpg (21.81 KB, 2 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0