The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln), 167 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1612081 09/27/2026 11:21 AM
Joined: Sep 2026
Posts: 4
P
Moderated
Moderated
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2026
Posts: 4
I've been trying to find a good useable RH Spindle for a 1956 chevy 3100. I'm from the east coast which doesn't help much. I've read that some folks performing upgarades throw these parts in the trash even though they are useable. Can anyone suggest how I may look more toward the south west area for better results?

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
Welcome to Stovebolt Paul! wave

Your first post is more an ask for help on locating/finding the part you need, and should really get moved to the Truck Parts Wanted forum where we can go to work to help you find what you need. That being said, I've gone ahead and moved it there so we can get busy with that help! thumbs_up

While we do that, it would be great if you started a new post in the Welcome Centre, introducing yourself and your truck to the community. We'd love to hear and see (post pics please - wink ) what you'd like us to know about you and your truck.

Once again, Welcome to the 'Bolt. We'll get to answering your question pretty quick. smile


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
I’m pretty sure the AD 1/2 ton spindles and the task force spindles interchange. Can someone confirm that is true?

If so, I might be able to assist.


1951 3100
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
Paul - I recalled doing some research awhile back on the spindle you seek for another 'Bolter.

Here's some relevant info that should be helpful to you in finding another spindle:

The spindle (steering knuckle) that fits your '56 (1951-57) is GM# 3709756 (forged piece with casting# 3708831).* Same spindle used for both left and right sides. See this page from the 1929-57 Chevy Master Parts & Accessories Catalog:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_57chevyparts/57cmpc0523.htm **

* NOTE: In the 1929-54 Catalog, their are a couple different GM#s for earlier versions of the spindle that are noted to fit '51-'53 (GM# 3696337) and '54 (GM# 3709756) steering knuckles for those 1/2 ton trucks, but from what I can tell the '51-'53 number was replaced by the GM# 3709756 listed in the 1929-57 Catalog. It is a "possibility" that you may stumble across someone offering one of the early numbered parts. If you do, it would work for your application as well as the newer numbered part GM# 3709756.

** NOTE: In the 1979 Chevy Master Parts & Accessories Catalog, GM# 3709756 is also listed for all '51-'59 1/2 ton trucks. See this page:

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=22515

With this info, you can widen your search of trucks to hopefully find another spindle. More likely than not, your best bet will be to find someone offering a complete front axle. With that, you get two spindles to chose from to use to replace yours. wink

I'll be back soon with some possible sources near you, if I can find them. thumbs_up
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
Originally Posted by JW51
I’m pretty sure the AD 1/2 ton spindles and the task force spindles interchange. Can someone confirm that is true?

If so, I might be able to assist.

Nathan - They do as seen in my reply I posted just after yours popped up. That would be cool if you can help Paul out. Will have to wait until he come back as being new and moderated, he can't receive PMs yet. He does however have a direct contact listed in his profile, so that can be another way to communicate while he gets through being moderated. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,460
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,460
A little late, but ...

1955-59 GMC 1/2 ton without 4 wheel drive use a GM F022 front axle. The 1955.2-60 GMC Master Parts Book lists part number 3709756 (casting # 3708831) for both left and right side, just as Dan quoted from the Chevy catalog. Steering arm would be different of course.

The earlier 1947-54 GMC Master Parts Book lists 3696377 for both sides on 1950-54 half ton trucks, but notes "when stock is exhausted use 3709756".

I don't have 1955 first series parts information, but if before and after are the same I would bet that the 55 1st is too.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
I’d have to do some wire wheeling to get a part #, but what I have is from a 51 3100.


1951 3100
Joined: Sep 2026
Posts: 4
P
Moderated
Moderated
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2026
Posts: 4
Hi and thanks for helping me with the spindle/knucle issue. It took me awhile to figure out how to replay and thank you. I'm learning how to navigate around a bit but didn't wish to rude and not thank the people who responded/helped.

I'll spend some time describing my 1956 Chevy 3105 Panel Delivery Truck once I figure things out.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
No worries Paul and looking forward to seeing and hearing about your Panel! thumbs_up

On a related note, take your time on posting as we are currently experiencing a problem with pictures posting/display in the forums.

PS - When I get a chance later, I'll see what might be currently offered on FBM etc. to see if there's anything somewhat local to you.

If I find something I'll post the links in another reply. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Sep 2026
Posts: 4
P
Moderated
Moderated
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2026
Posts: 4
Thank you Dan, I really appreciate your time and efforts. Finding parts for a 1956 Panel Delivery in the east coast is difficult. I wanted to replace the hub as well but I haven't proved anything is wrong with it.
I converted the front bearings to tapered bearing as recommended. The is something not quite right in the RH side. The hub rolls free and and then binds a bit. When I tighten the nut to where it should be it gets worse. If I loosen it there is too much play.
I have a friend who is an expert mechanic coming on Oct.1 to help determine what's up.
In the meantime, how do show and talk about my Panel? It's not in my profile or anything, right?

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,460
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,460
How much is "tighten the nut to where it should be"?


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,899
Originally Posted by PAUL Berardi
Thank you Dan, I really appreciate your time and efforts. Finding parts for a 1956 Panel Delivery in the east coast is difficult. I wanted to replace the hub as well but I haven't proved anything is wrong with it.
I converted the front bearings to tapered bearing as recommended. The is something not quite right in the RH side. The hub rolls free and and then binds a bit. When I tighten the nut to where it should be it gets worse. If I loosen it there is too much play.
I have a friend who is an expert mechanic coming on Oct.1 to help determine what's up.
In the meantime, how do show and talk about my Panel? It's not in my profile or anything, right?

Paul - I'm going to answer your last questions first. A reply from you to Bill's question will perhaps help diagnosing the problem. wink

You can add a "signature line" by updating your profile (see what is displayed in the bottom of all my posts for just one example) that can provide the basic description on your truck, like make, model and some other descriptive stuff. Doing this automatically places that signature line in every post you make, making it easy for folks to know what truck you are talking about in your posts and questions. Only note to remember on that is if you're asking a question not related to your truck, be sure to mention that in the post title so folks don't get confused on what truck your trying to discuss.

For a more detailed next step, the best way to introduce yourself and your truck, including posting pictures to show it off (in whatever condition it may be in smile ), is go to the
Welcome Centre and create/post an intro there. Since you already have 4 approved posts, your next post will not require moderation, so it will automatically display, along with your updated status as a 'Bolter! thumbs_up

Looking forward to seeing your intro in the "WC". smile


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0