The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, R&S 51 GMC, KEVINSKI, Bill Hanlon, Swami29, Phak1), 100 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,339
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I picked up the correct valve cover gasket today from Auto Zone. The rest of the stuff is arriving on Tuesday. I ordered the incorrect Felpro version as well because it comes with the 2 grommets for the top of the cover.

I'll do the double stack method with the 4-holer on top and the Mahle one on the head.

Take a look at these pictures and feel free to offer any opinions, suggestions, dos & don'ts, admonishments, criticisms, insults, cash donations, or anything else.

What's the best way to clean this valve train up? I'm afraid to use degreaser because I don't want a bunch of crud getting into any oil passages.

Speaking of oil passages, why do those last 4 valves look so dry? Does it have anything to do with the copper oil tube thing?

I think my tube may have broken off down in the head/block whatever because it can rock back and forth on the rocker shaft.

Does it connect down at the oil pump or something? I'm not tearing this whole engine down so hopefully I can solve whatever problems we find from right here.

When I removed the valve cover, the stackup of washers, etc didn't seem right.

From the top down it went;

Acorn
Lock washer
Large dia washer
Smaller Same diameter as grommet, thin washer
Grommet

The rear bolt's grommet was nowhere to be found. The front one was hard as a rock.

Anyway, here are a couple of "Before" engine pictures. It'ss be painted when all this is over.

Mating surface for gasket is exceptionally clean. It looks like the PO used RTV on the valve cover itself and none on the head.

In case the numbers on the head are needed for future work/parts/valve adjustment or whatever, here they are.
Attachments
IMG_20260913_155402546.jpg (87.12 KB, 154 downloads)
IMG_20260913_155449080.jpg (79.87 KB, 152 downloads)
IMG_20260913_161523844~2.jpg (93.35 KB, 157 downloads)
IMG_20260913_161532504~2.jpg (89.15 KB, 148 downloads)
IMG_20260913_161549574.jpg (95.54 KB, 149 downloads)
IMG_20260913_161611156.jpg (103.93 KB, 149 downloads)
IMG_20260913_162335689_HDR~2.jpg (86.44 KB, 142 downloads)
IMG_20260913_162342754~2.jpg (73.22 KB, 149 downloads)
IMG_20260913_162408573_HDR.jpg (82.91 KB, 151 downloads)
IMG_20260913_162443314.jpg (85.11 KB, 151 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
Are you working with a spray-oiler 216 or an early 235, or is it an early full pressure 235? The 216 and pre-54 spray oiler 235s with the triangular shaped sheet metal oil distributor near the oil pan rail have a copper {not steel) tube that passes through the water jacket and ends up at the rocker arm shaft. Early full pressure 235s have a steel tube under the pushrod cover that gets pressurized oil from the rear cam bearing boss. Both types are subject to wear from contact with the pushrods and/or breakage due to vibration. DO NOT try to replace the line through the water jacket with steel- - - - -it will rust out. The copper tube is soldered to the adapter fittings on both sides of the water jacket, and must be destroyed to remove it- - - -it's a one time installation. Some of the resto-ripoff places sell a kit with tubing and the fittings needed for that project.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Hi jerry, yes this is a 1951 216 spray oiler.. it looks like I'll be able to see what's going on when I get the side cover off to replace that gasket.

Once I do that maybe the solution will become obvious. The tube as you can see in the picture appears to be copper but that might just be discoloration due to crud or something I can't really tell till I get it cleaned off.


I just finished pressure washing the valve cover inside and out. Got most of the baked on crud off of the inside and the cover itself is remarkably straight and doesn't look like it's going to require any tinsmithing.

I'll put a straight edge on it after I get it all cleaned up but it looks like it's in remarkably good condition.
Attachments
IMG_20260913_183148565.jpg (167.86 KB, 134 downloads)
IMG_20260913_183142909_HDR.jpg (117.52 KB, 121 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/13/2026 10:40 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
That's definitely a 216 head casting number. And the rocker oiler tube is copper. It looks like things may be plugged with crud or there just isn't enough oil getting up to the rocker shafts to get oil to the higher front rockers. It's essentially a gravity system with that overflow tube shown in the attached pic of yours. If the rockers are worn enough then the oil could run out around the rear rockers and never get to the front ones. An old timer trick is to pinch off the overflow tube to force more pressure to the rockers. But I would remove the rocker assemblies and clean them up and inspect. They may be too worn and ready to be replaced. R&R of the rocker assemblies isn't a hard thing and you're planning on adjusting the valves anyway. Reattaching the tube to the oiler assembly can be a little fiddly, but if you don't bend the tube coming up from the pushrod gallery, it should thread back in easily.
Attachments
IMG_20260913_162335689_HDR~2.jpg (88.25 KB, 123 downloads)

Last edited by klhansen; 09/13/2026 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
The dry rockers are the 4 in the rear of the head.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
I thought the front two looked a little funky. headscratch


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I;ll look again but I think everything toward the front is nice and wet with oil.

Picture #5 is of the rear rockers that are dry


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Pull the entire rocker assembly and clean everything thoroughly, especially inside of the rocker shafts. The outside end of each shaft had a plug very similar to a freeze plug. Remove those to make sure that the entire length of the shafts are clean.
Inspect the rocker arms shafts where the rocker arms ride, especially the bottom of the shafts. Lack of oil will severely gall the shafts there.
When you are done cleaning the shafts, you should be able to reuse the end plugs. You may have to expand the end s of the plugs. I use a small ball peen hammer placed in the end of the plug and strike the hammer with another hammer to spread it a bit until it provides some resistance when test fitted in the shaft.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Can of worms is now open.

I should have let a leaking dog lie.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
Can of worms is now open.
Happens frequently with our old trucks.

Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
I should have let a leaking dog lie.

grin dang


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
If I take the rocker shaft out, as long as I don't mess with anything, turn over the engine, or unscrew the adjusters, I can put it back in, as-is, and the truck will run as it did before, right?

Then I can adjust the valves?

Is that copper oil tube accessible through the side cover to make repairs?

Valves and springs can stay put, right?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Yes, the rocker shaft can be removed without messing things up, but putting it back in is a little tricky as you'll be opening some of the valves as you tighten the bolts to draw the assembly into place. Pushrods will have to be positioned as you put it in place and then tighten the bolts. Yes valves and springs can stay in place. It won't matter if you rotate the engine.

Before you pull the rocker shaft, you might try removing the distributor and spinning the oil pump with a drill motor using a steel rod with the end flattened to mate up with the slot in the pump. You should be able to see oil coming out of the rockers and out the overflow tube. As long as you don't turn the engine over, the distributor can drop back in in the same position before you took it out.

I doubt that the copper oil tube is a problem. If it does have a leak in it behind the side cover, you'll need to replace the whole thing like Jerry said. It starts on the opposite of the engine, goes through the cooling jacket and then up to the rocker oiler fitting. Coolant will have to be drained out. I would say that replacing the oil line would be more difficult than the rocker assembly.

Last edited by klhansen; 09/14/2026 4:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Yes that does look like it would be more difficult. Also since the engine is in the vehicle any kind of work down there is going to be difficult.

I'll probably know more this afternoon when I get the side cover off.

This is definitely turning into more work than I wanted to do


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Yeah I'm kind of worried about what I'm going to find when I get that cover off because it sure seems like that oil tube is broken off in there.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
Unless I am missing something I would not take the side cover off until I had gone thru the top end cleanup and determined that is all made clean and within spec. If it solves the issue great, if not I don’t think you lost much time if you need to go deeper.

Chuck


Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
Yeah I'm kind of worried about what I'm going to find when I get that cover off because it sure seems like that oil tube is broken off in there.
If there's oil getting to the rockers, I really doubt that the oil tube is broken off.
I'm with Chuck on waiting to to take the side cover off. Spinning the oil pump with a drill before doing anything else would be my first step at this point. That will definitely tell you whether the oil tube is broken, and I'll bet you'll get some oil out of the overflow at the rockers.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Too late, Chuck. Side cover is off. It had to come off anyway because it was leaking. Fixing all the oil seepage at the valve and side covers is what started Operation Worm Can in the first place.

Anyway, as you can see, the copper tube is broken right where it goes up into the head.

So, are compression fitting couplings available in this size copper tube to join the two pieces back together? High temp silicone hose?
Attachments
IMG_20260914_123527914.jpg (93.04 KB, 76 downloads)
IMG_20260914_123558072.jpg (113.74 KB, 71 downloads)
IMG_20260914_123900036.jpg (254.8 KB, 66 downloads)
IMG_20260914_123909034.jpg (146.54 KB, 69 downloads)
IMG_20260914_123538274~2.jpg (92.65 KB, 68 downloads)
IMG_20260914_123920109~2.jpg (247.86 KB, 84 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
The broken tube explains why the last 4valve rockers are completely dry.

When re-installing the side cover, what's the procedure?

How do you keep the little cork spark plug seals in place? Should they be glued to the cover first or glued to the engine and then the cover installed over them?

As for the Stove Bolts, 1 was missing, 1 was a hex bolt, 2 were slotted round head bolts. Should I just buy 12 new hex bolts? Are the slotted stove bolts available at Ace to replace the 4 I need?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Well, that's unfortunate. And unexpected.

You could cut that broken tube back a little so there's room for a compression coupling (pic 1) and add a new piece going up to the rocker oiler fitting. I believe that tube is standard 1/4" OD copper tubing.
You'll need a new fitting for the upper end as it uses what's called a captive ferrule fitting (pic 2) and they can't be removed from the existing tubing and reused.
Compression couplings are easy to find at your local hardware, but captive ferrule fittings are not so easy to find. I think I've seen them on McMaster Carr's site, but couldn't find them today. [on edit] found them. LINK

Glue the cork rings to the cover, I didn't use any sealant between there and the block. Stovebolt screws (called pan head slotted screws) should be available at your local hardware. But you could use anything, including hex head. They should have external star lockwashers under them.
Attachments
IMG_9315.JPG (154.98 KB, 59 downloads)

Last edited by klhansen; 09/14/2026 5:33 PM. Reason: added info

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
OK, I meant to ask about washers. One or two had external stars, the rest had lock washers or flat washers.

How does that captive ferule fitting attach to the tubing?

I wonder if I could just attach both existing pieces together with a coupler? It's probably too far up in that passageway to get a fitting on it.

Can the upper piece of copper be removed with the captive ferule fitting intact and then re-attached? Or is it a one time use?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
The captive ferrule fittings can't usually be reused, but maybe if you can get it off the tubing you can slide it on the new piece of tubing. usually the hole in the fitting is too small to get it over new tubing. It's worth a try. I did find them at Mcmaster Carr link in my post above. They're designed to compress and squeeze the tubing a bit to form the seal.

I think you'll need to cut the lower piece back to get a coupler on, as you said, it's probably too far up in the head to make a good connection if it's even possible to reach.

Another thought, since the tube operates at very low pressure is to slip a rubber hose over it. Something that's oil resistant would be best and a tight fit on the tubing. Probably don't even need a clamp, but one on the lower piece of tube would be insurance to prevent it from slipping off and having to go thru the whole drill again. Myself, I'd go with a compression coupler and new captive ferrule nut.

Last edited by klhansen; 09/14/2026 5:43 PM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Yes, a rubber tube of some kind was my first thought. Maybe some sort of fuel hose.

What industries use captive ferules? Is it a plumbing type fitting?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I just went out to the garage to take a closer look at that fitting. The copper tube can move around within the fitting. I suspect that it's supposed to be fixed in place. Is that correct?

If it isn't supposed to be able to turn inside the fitting then that upper part is shot anyway and I'm going to have to get a new captive feral regardless.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
The fact that the tubing can move inside the fitting is a good sign. That means the fitting may not be compressed too much to be reused. It depends on the tightness of the nut to seal by compressing the front end of the fitting on to the tubing. It should at least turn on the tubing if you pull it off.
The captive ferrule might be available at a plumbing shop, but I've only seen them on cars. I used to work in plumbing years ago. That McMaster Carr link I posted above might be easier than running all over town trying to find one. I'd pull the tube off and see if the fitting will slip over a new piece of tubing. You may get lucky. (You need some of that right now)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Since you guys said I have to take that rocker shaft out in order to clean it, that means I would have to have disconnected that captive Ferrell fitting anyway, right? Looking at this setup it does not appear that the shaft can be removed without removing that copper tube from its threaded in female fitting that's attached to the shaft. Is that true? If so, then it looks like I would have been in this situation regardless of whether the tube was broken or not and I still be in the position of having to replace that fitting and part of the tube, right? Am I understanding how all this junk goes together correctly?
Attachments
IMG_20260914_141012762.jpg (144.95 KB, 74 downloads)
IMG_20260914_141027369.jpg (172.59 KB, 73 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/14/2026 6:14 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Yes, that fitting would normally have to be unscrewed to get the rocker shafts off, but it can be reattached. When I said the captive ferrule fitting wasn't reusable, I meant getting it off without ruining it to put it on a new piece of tubing. Right now with the tube broken, you can remove the rocker shafts without messing with the fitting, as the tube will come off with the shaft oiler.

HERE's your fallback position, but I think the coupler will do the trick for you. That captive ferrule nut looks pristine - no one has rounded it off. Pull that piece off and check it out.

Last edited by klhansen; 09/14/2026 6:19 PM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Here it is. You can see a shiny part and a groove on the tube where it was rubbing on the flange of the head where it entered that passageway
Attachments
IMG_20260914_142007802_MP.jpg (58.7 KB, 75 downloads)
IMG_20260914_142412563_MP.jpg (139.79 KB, 63 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/14/2026 6:25 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I have zero desire to get into the backup plan. I'll do whatever I have to to avoid that.

What's the best way to get this court gasket material off of the side cover flange? Obviously I don't want to use a wire wheel on a drill because little pieces will go everywhere. I guess just razor blades and scrapers right?

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/14/2026 6:58 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
You can see that the four rockers on the left have virtually no oil or goop on them compared to the one on the far right. All the rest going toward the front of the engine look plenty greasy and oily
Attachments
IMG_20260914_143408294.jpg (250.09 KB, 64 downloads)
IMG_20260914_143350703.jpg (230.49 KB, 61 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Does this spring look okay? It's sticking up higher than all the rest.

Except for the two springs on the very end. It's sticking up about the same height as those two where they have those little spring clips holding them in place.
Attachments
IMG_20260914_143734823.jpg (176.4 KB, 64 downloads)
IMG_20260914_143734823~2.jpg (205.62 KB, 56 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/14/2026 6:42 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
The copper tube is actually quite thin about 3/16 inches outside diameter. What is the nominal size for this tubing? 1/8"?

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/14/2026 9:00 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
All right I just loosen the three studs on the front rocker shaft. And there is an awful lot of play side to side of that shaft. When it's time to put it back together how do you know that you have it aligned properly?

And the center studs that go through the top of the valve cover are not in a fixed position the stud turns and the nut on the stud turns. Again how do you know where stuff is supposed to be when you put it back together?

Operation worm can is making me nervous.

Yeah in case you guys can't tell I've never done this before on any engine.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/14/2026 9:19 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I guess wire brush and brake cleaner or degreaser for cleaning all these little pieces, right?

As far as that copper tube, I'm not sure they make compression fittings that small I'll have to see. It's I think 1/8 inch inside diameter
Attachments
IMG_20260914_172825084.jpg (129.71 KB, 77 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
There are sweat copper couplings available in most sizes at least down to 1/8”, the plumber in me would be more comfortable with a soldered joint than a compression coupling given the vibration, and the outside diameter of a solder coupling is much smaller.most plumbing supply houses stock this stuff.
For reference most small diameter soft (copper)tubing is sized by the outside diameter, 1/8”od, 3/16”od, 1/4”od, 5/16”od, 3/8”od are normal products

Chuck


Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I don't trust my pipe sweating abilities for something that small and hard to reach.

Right now, the rubber hose method is the leading contender followed by compression coupling.

The engine paint was delivered today. I was hoping to be putting everything back together tomorrow but I now have the rocker shafts to deal with.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/15/2026 12:28 AM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
While I respect and recommend staying within your comfort zone… you can do a test piece on the bench to raise your confidence level.

A solid solder joint in a tough spot can be simplified by pretinning the parts, this just means clean and flux, then heat and apply/melt solder onto each part (the outside of tubings/inside of coupling) and completely wipe/flick excess solder leaving just the silver color on the parts. Reflux and assemble, The fine solder layer left on each the parts ensures proper flow/bond when heat is applied to the assembled parts….with just heat and a touch of solder you will complete the joint.
Chuck


Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Compression fittings are available down to 1/8" OD. But your oil line will be 3/16" OD. That fitting I posted a picture of is actually the one from a 216 I have. It slipped off the tubing that I just measured and would be available if yours isn't going to come off.

Your rockers, springs and such look fairly normal. The end play is dealt with by the springs, bolt stands and the clips on the ends. What you need to look out for is excessive wear on the bottom of the shafts, as mentioned before. Just be sure you keep everything in the same order as they came off. Also when you put it back together, be sure that the tubing isn't against the passage thru the head or any other part of the block.

The problem with sweat copper couplings is they're only readily available down to 3/8 OD tubing. You might be able to use 1/4" OD tubing as a coupling for 3/16" OD tubing, but sweat fittings are dependent on a fairly close fit. Some 1/4" OD tubing has smaller ID than 3/16" so wouldn't work. But with the right mandrel you could swage (expand) it to fit. If I had to I might try it but it's fairly complicated.

Last edited by klhansen; 09/15/2026 2:50 AM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Thanks, Kevin. I might take you up on your offer of the fitting. I haven't attempted to remove mine yet. I figure I'll get everything cleaned and ready to put back together.

I've already pressure washed the valve cover and side cover.

I've got to pick up some more Brakeleen today to scrub up the shaft and rockers.

Fortunately the front shaft looks pretty clean inside and out. I haven't removed the rear one yet. Should I wire wheel the rockers to a shiny finish or just get rid of loose crud? I'm not rebuilding the engine or anything and the original plan was to just replace the gaskets.

What do you mean by excessive wear on the bottom of the shafts? Are you talking about where the rocker arms are positioned? So far everything is smooth and shiny.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Otto, no need to wire wheel the rockers. Dunking them in solvent should be fine. Or scrubbing with a toothbrush and brake clean.

The rockers are under nearly constant pressure against the bottom of the rocker shafts and that's where wear would occur without good lubrication. It sounds like you don't have that problem at least with one shaft.

With that cracked tube, it may have been lined up with the top half and gotten at least some oil up to the rockers. It doesn't take much to do an adequate job of lubing the rocker shafts.

Let me know on the fitting.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Thanks Kevin. It doesn't look like I 'll be able to get the fitting off this tube. The end of the tube is too large at the tip and it won't slide backward (although I haven't applied a lot of force. I'll let you know if I have to get that fitting.

I was thinking the same thing you were about the broken tube. I think the two pieces were in contact with each other and oil probably still made it up to the shaft. The break was nice and clean - like the pieces were rubbing together.

I'll look closely at the rear shaft bottom when I take it off although I don't know what I could do about it if its worn.

I found some 3/16" fuel line that is also suitable as an oil line for low pressure (under 50psi) and temps under 250. I might end up doing this and running the hose all the way through the passageway from the pushrod gallery to the valve train.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
The captive ferrule fitting can be removed and reinstalled repeatedly- - - -once it squeezes down on the tubing, it doesn't have to be removed again. It just swages down and puts a slight groove in the tube. The simple fix for the broken tube is to put a short piece of 1/4" OD copper tubing over the break and solder it into place. It's a quick, permanent fix, and it will be much better than a piece of rubber tube.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Well let's see if I can put this one back together in the right order.

There was virtually no sludge inside the shaft. You can tell that there is more wear on the bottom of the shaft than on the top like you said, but there's nothing that you can catch your fingernail on.

Hey when I put this back together, do I need to assemble it with clean oil or just put it together dry and then oil it when it's back on the truck?
Attachments
IMG_20260914_172825084.jpg (129.71 KB, 178 downloads)
IMG_20260915_153145548_MP.jpg (138.4 KB, 176 downloads)
IMG_20260915_163210055_MP.jpg (61.35 KB, 154 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
That slight amount of wear should be fine. The fingernail test works. thumbs_up

The cleanest way is to assemble it dry and then squirt some oil in the weep hole on each rocker once it's back on the truck. That'll be enough lubrication until the pump sends oil up to the shafts and fills them.

I have to disagree with Jerry about reusing the captive ferrule fitting repeatedly. Each time it's used, the front end of the opening gets a little smaller. That's what squeezed down on the tube. If it's not removed from it's tube, then yes it can be used repeatedly, but it can be very difficult to get off the original tube and used on a new piece of tube.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Thanks Kevin,

I have a hot date with the manager of Auto Zone tomorrow so no getting all grimy after work for me! I'll have to remove and clean the rear shaft on Thursday.

Here are some pictures to hold everybody over until then.

Man look how shiny that cover is. I should have sprayed clear coat over it and people would think it was a Duesenberg engine or something.

Instead I went with the O-riginal, genuine, General Motors, factory correct color engine enamel - Duplicolor DE1611, New Ford Gray!
Attachments
IMG_20260915_175235342_HDR.jpg (75.27 KB, 153 downloads)
IMG_20260915_163231759_MP.jpg (79.49 KB, 149 downloads)
IMG_20260915_182108686_MP.jpg (72.22 KB, 141 downloads)
IMG_20260915_182131769_MP.jpg (79.36 KB, 138 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 211
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 211
One good thing is the paint job😎


1946 Chevy Truck 216 1/2 ton
"Tales from a weekend mechanic"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
What do you guys think I should do with the two openings on the top of the valve cover? I don't particularly like that design, especially since there are no baffles or anything else to prevent contaminants from getting in there. Seems like a pretty stupid design by general motors. However doesn't seem to have hurt these engines too much so should I leave them alone, or should I fill them in with JB weld?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
There needs to be some ventilation under the valve cover, so either leave them or close them up and use a vented oil fill cap. One issue with the back vent opening is the drain tube from the cowl cneter vent. If the hose points directly down to the center, there's a good chance that water can get into the valve cover. The tube is supposed to be offset to one side, but they can get limp and point toward center. If you leave them open, definitely check that drain tube for correct positioning.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Yeah there's a normal vented cap on the front but wasn't sure if I needed more ventilation than just that. I think I probably will JB weld them shut .


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 15
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
Yeah there's a normal vented cap on the front but wasn't sure if I needed more ventilation than just that. I think I probably will JB weld them shut .

The original cap wasn't vented, I don't think. If it's got the later style vented cap with the mesh, then I would plug up those valve cover holes too.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Is the flange on the front and rear of the valve cover supposed to be completely flat? Or does it turn up slightly? I assume flat but before I go tapping it down with a block of wood I want to make sure.

It seemed like maybe on the front flange that it turns up due to possible interference with the back of the water outlet.

Also, what about that bead on the driver side? Is that flange perpendicular to the side of the valve cover or does it tip slightly up? Does that bead and lip push down on top of the gasket rather than hang over the edge of it?
Attachments
IMG_20260916_174630746_HDR.jpg (103.91 KB, 86 downloads)
IMG_20260916_174701345.jpg (48.61 KB, 88 downloads)
IMG_20260916_174701345~2.jpg (75.7 KB, 85 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/17/2026 12:09 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Looking at the cover again, it seems like that small 1/8" lip on the driver side is supposed to go over the edge of the gasket rather than press down on top of it.

If so, the flange needs to be perfectly horizontal rather than slightly turned up. Is this correct?

However, when I lay the gasket on the cover with the passenger edge pressed flat against the 1/2" lip on the flange, the driver side edge of the gasket only comes to the edge of the cover where the bead and flange begins rather than to the inside edge of that small lip.

What is the correct orientation of that bead and flange?

Sorry for all the questions about something as simple as a valve cover installation. This is the weirdest valve cover I've ever seen. 1/2" lip on one side, no lips on front and back, weird looking bead and 1/8" flange on the other side that doesn't seem to be there to hold the gasket in place.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/17/2026 2:37 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 15
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 15
50 235 from passenger car, thinking your 216 would be similar.
Attachments
IMG_6736.jpeg (367.09 KB, 116 downloads)
IMG_6737.jpeg (420.56 KB, 110 downloads)
IMG_6738.jpeg (236.72 KB, 112 downloads)
IMG_6739.jpeg (363.36 KB, 111 downloads)

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Thanks. That's helpful. So it looks like the little short lip with the bead just presses down right on the deck of the head so I should straighten mine so that the the edge of that little flange planes with the flat portion of the cover


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
Consider using sealant only on the bottom of the gasket onto the head, creates a nice seal where the most oil sits and a dam for adjusting valves.

I think that originally came from Jerry, I can say it works really well.

Chuck


Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Yes I was already planning on doing that. I have two gaskets which I will glue together to make a tall curb.

Then I'll glue my double gasket to the Head and then install the valve cover over that with a light coating of grease on the top of the gaskets.

I've got a little more to do before I'm at that stage, though I have to remove the rear rocker shaft get it all cleaned up, fix that spray oiler tube, and then adjust the valves.

I may put everything together and then make sure that the truck actually starts and runs and that the oil spray tube is functioning before I do any valve work or install the cover


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
The rear shaft isn't as nice as the front shaft. More sludge inside and some galling damage to the inside of the last two rockers where they move over the oil drain holes. Probably due to lack of oil.

Should I leave galls alone or try to file the raised part smooth?

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/17/2026 6:35 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
.
Attachments
IMG_20260917_144514947.jpg (94.09 KB, 90 downloads)
IMG_20260917_144432664_HDR.jpg (67.66 KB, 93 downloads)
IMG_20260917_144408524_HDR.jpg (187.71 KB, 87 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Those rockers are candidates for replacement, as is the shaft. That's not galling, it's where the surrounding metal has been worn away, leaving that bump where the oil hole is. I'll bet that those rockers are a real sloppy fit even on a good shaft.
I may be able to help you out. Send me a PM and we can talk.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Ok.pm sent


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
Since the rocker shafts only wear on the bottom, it's possible to turn them upside down, drill new oil holes with a solid carbide drill bit, and plug the holes on top with pieces of round brass rod. Clamp a slightly oversize piece of brass into a drill press chuck, and file a slight taper to make a short plug that can be hammered into the top of the shaft. "Rinse and repeat" for all the top holes so the oil only goes to the bottom of the recycled shaft. Those shafts are harder than woodpecker lips, so filing on them is a lost cause!

"Worn out" rockers are excellent candidates for the conversion I do to Torrington roller bearings- - - - -ditto for those worn shafts, since I grind them down to fit an 18MM diameter bearing. Anyone who has rockers and/or shafts they're replacing, please don't discard them!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Yeah I was asking about filing that bump inside the rocker arm not the shaft itself.

. I thought that that would probably be possible to turn the rocker shaft upside down,Jerry when I looked at it, but that's more work than I'm willing or even capable of doing right now

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/17/2026 7:57 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
So much for having this quickie gasket replacement job done by today.
Attachments
IMG_20260917_144408524_HDR.jpg (72.94 KB, 99 downloads)
IMG_20260917_144413685_MP.jpg (87.48 KB, 95 downloads)
IMG_20260917_144432664_HDR.jpg (30.93 KB, 102 downloads)
IMG_20260917_144514947.jpg (42.26 KB, 97 downloads)
IMG_20260916_142249178_MP.jpg (60.65 KB, 100 downloads)
IMG_20260916_174604890_MP.jpg (58.13 KB, 94 downloads)
IMG_20260917_163236009_MP.jpg (53.88 KB, 99 downloads)
IMG_20260917_163253383_MP.jpg (75.56 KB, 98 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
The cover looks great Otto. Nice job!

Last edited by Phak1; 09/17/2026 11:02 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Thanks Phil. That Ford gray is perfect and it was only eight bucks a can


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I'll clean up the mating surfaces and glue my two valve cover gaskets together but then I'll have to put it on hold until new rockers and shaft arrive from Alyeska.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,400
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,400
I know you are all about keeping "Ol Roy" original but it may be time to locate another rocker assembly. I'm sure someone on the BOLT has a better setup just setting around. In the instance you can't locate one contact the folks at Rocker Arms Unlimited, they should be able to fix you up. I sent them the assembly from my 235 project along with the lifters, they rebuilt the entire assembly and provided new shafts. They resurfaced the lifters to original specs. I was very happy with their work.

https://www.rockerarms.com/


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Hi Craig. You probably missed the post above as you were typing. A new assembly is en route from Kevin Hansen.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,400
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,400
You'll need to let them thaw out... thumbs_up


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
As a fellow Georgian, you know it won't take that long the way the weather's been lately.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
How do I get these little washers off of the panhead screws?

I bought new star washers for the handful of panhead screws that were missing them but I cannot get these little extremely thin washers off. And the washers have a slit in them but they are not lock washers.

Should I just leave them alone and install the star washer on top of them? Since these are such short screws I hate to take away even one thread of bite.

I've tried prying them with a screwdriver, putting them and trying to unscrew them but they won't unscrew on the threads. They're almost like captive washers.
Attachments
IMG_20260920_163945450_MP.jpg (126.44 KB, 34 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
I haven't seen any captive washers like that, only star washers that are a tight fit on the screw and just don't drop off. I think with a little more effort, since they're slotted, they could be removed and replaced with star washers. Pry the end at the slot up so it engages the nearest thread and then unscrew them. Clamp them in a vice between tip and head so you don't stab yourself with the screwdriver holding on to them by hand.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I've tried all of that. And these things are made out of some pretty strong steel I managed to get one off by bending it but it bunged up the threads on the pan head screw.

I ran it through a thread dye so I can still use it but I don't really want to do that to all of them.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Maybe try annealing the washer. It should get red hot before the screw does. That would make them easier to bend and get off. Just be careful not to get the screw too hot.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Also, Ace hardware did not have any pan head screws quite like these. The ones that they had that were in the drawer labeled panhead screws did not have as square ahead as the originals and we're more domed although they were panhead screws and not oval head screws

They were also not as large in diameter as the originals so I didn't bother getting them. But I have two oval head screws that were on the truck that I'd like to replace with the correct panhead screws. I don't want to pay $10 shipping from McMaster Carr or Jim Carter for a couple of screws.

Interestingly the original Star washers which fit nice and tight on the panhead screws have nine fingers. The replacements which do not fit as tight have 10 fingers

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/20/2026 9:02 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Ok heat it is


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
I could have dropped a few in the package I sent you. dang


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
You got that stuff boxed up and sent so fast I didn't have time to think!

It occurred to me shortly after you sent me the the tracking number


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
I found some matching pan head bolts locally. They didn't have the captive star washers, but were otherwise basically identical to the original ones. You might check another hardware store.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
I found a good almost perfect match, without the attached star washers, at my local True Value Hardware store. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
There is a True Value near me in Midtown. I'll head over there this week.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I've reassembled both rocker shafts with the new rear shaft and new rockers to replace the damaged ones. When reinstalling these shafts, what's the best procedure for the center studs in each shaft?

I figure I'll just take the two nuts lock them together and then use those to tighten each stud as tight as it can be into the head.

Are those blind holes? Do I need to get the oil out of them? Or do they go down into the engine?

Any other suggestions or tips when reinstalling these two shafts on the engine?

Once they're on I intend to adjust the four replacement rocker screws to the approximate position of the four I removed. Does that sound logical?

Then once everything's installed and torque to spec I'll do a valve adjustment.

And what do you do about the oil sprayer thing? Is it supposed to be in a particular position or does it just go on it obviously moves back and forth so it doesn't seem like it's a fixed position but just let me know I have not repaired the copper tube yet but I think I can reuse the part that came off and just use a coupling to reconnect it


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Installing the two studs that hold the valve cover off can be done with the two nuts tightened together. No need to get the oil out of the holes (they are blind), it will leak out past the threads. Tighten the studs to the same torque spec as the rest of the bolts on the rockers.

You can do a cold adjustment of the valves. Just add a couple thousandths to the hot spec. Then you can run the engine to warm it up and recheck.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Otto - There should be two space filling tension springs and flat washers between the "oiler" and the rockers either side of it to help stabilize it from moving side to side too much.

See the rear shaft diagram from the shop manual below and note that the same needs to be on the forward shaft segment too.
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Right. I have those. There was only one washer installed when I disassembled the shafts. I got another one with the replacement shafts and rockers that Kevin sent me.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Cool - Looking forward to hearing/seeing how things turn out. smile


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Me too. This is causing me a lot of anxiety. I've never adjusted valves on any vehicle before in my life.

When I install the two rocker shaft assemblies, my plan is to position them loosely. The bronze oil squirter appears to be the thing that keeps the two shafts in alignment.

Once they're aligned and the balls are sitting in the pushrod sockets and rockers are resting on their respective valve stems, I'll torque everything down and then attach the copper oil tube.

I haven't yet fixed that. I have a compression coupling to reuse the old piece. Or I can use the oil hose I have that's rated for carrying oil under 50psi and at temps up to 250.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Whgat's the best way to install the rocker shaft assembly?

I thought I could loosely install the rear shaft and then install the valve cover stud for the front one as a locator and then slide the front assembly into position. Unfortunately, the oil spray tube can't be pushed far enough onto the front shaft to clear the rear shaft.

Do I have to remove the front valve cover stud and then just try to finagle the thing into place and pokew around with the stud and bolts to find their holes?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Otto - If you already have the rear shaft assembly in place, the forward end of the shaft should only fill about 1/2 of the oil feed tube assembly. Trying to picture in my head the steps you are using to reinstall. headscratch

If I'm understanding correctly, the answer to your last question is yes. It shouldn't be that difficult to get things in right vicinity and locate the support stud bolt hole in the the head. Please note that's not how I would do it though.

IIRC, you mentioned you were leaving the rocker adjusters as they were when you removed the assemblies. That will complicate your reinstallation as the rocker assemblies aren't going to rest in the proper spots on the head with the lifters/pushrods trying to open the valves in conjunction with where the cam lobes are when disassembled. That's going to make you need to use the mounting studs to draw down the rocker assemblies to sit properly, which can also coincidentally do damage to your oiler feed tube.

The better way to reinstall the rocker assemblies is to back off the adjusters so clearance from the valves exists to let the assemblies set properly. Before you do that, in tracking your previous mention about presetting the rocker adjusters to the approximate position they were before removed, you can do a thread count of the exposed adjuster threads above the lock nut and record that. Then after you've backed everything off and set the rocker assemblies, reset them to where they were originally. That would get you "in the ballpark" perhaps, to allow for engine restart and warm up to operating temp before full valve adjustments. Again, please note I'm not recommending this process.

OR (my recommended process) - You can use this "Legacy Tech Tip" on Valve Adjustment to get your rocker settings where needed for a restart after loosening all your rocker adjustments to re-install the rocker assemblies.

It's really easier than it seems. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I was basically planning on installing it in the reverse order that I took it apart.

I removed the front shaft first by loosening the center stud and the two attaching bolts removed that whole assembly and then did the same thing with the rear one.

I have the rear shaft loosely fitted and then installed the front shaft the same way that it came out.

I now have both shafts loosely installed with no torque on any of the four attaching bolts or two studs.

I didn't adjust any of the screws because I wanted it to at least run when I reassembled it before I did the valve adjustment but was planning on doing a preliminary cold adjustment before starting the engine. I'm not sure I understand the reason to loosen them all up.

In the picture you can see everything is installed and lined up but fit very loosely with gaps between the head and mounting pylons

Wouldn't I just tighten those six bolts and studs to torque?
Attachments
IMG_20260925_105312479.jpg (237.85 KB, 79 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/25/2026 3:24 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Originally Posted by Gdads51
IIRC, you mentioned you were leaving the rocker adjusters as they were when you removed the assemblies. That will complicate your reinstallation as the rocker assemblies aren't going to rest in the proper spots on the head with the lifters/pushrods trying to open the valves in conjunction with where the cam lobes are when disassembled. That's going to make you need to use the mounting studs to draw down the rocker assemblies to sit properly, which can also coincidentally do damage to your oiler feed tube.

Not sure I understand this.

Why won't the rocker assemblies rest in the proper spot? How will the oil tube be damaged?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
What position is the oil spray thing supposed to be aimed? Should it be rocked all the way to the passenger side with the nozzle down in the hole to the pushrods?

I guess that's sort of held in place by the tube itself depending on the bends you put in it down in the pushrod gallery?

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/25/2026 3:30 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I guess another question is, how do you get the rocker arms aligned on the valves properly? How can you tell?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
The way I install the rocker assembly is to have the two studs on place, then put the oiler between the two shafts and hold them together while setting them on the studs. Align the pushrods and start the 4 bolts. Tighten them all gradually while making sure the pushrod stay on the rocker screws and the drain tube on the oiler lines up with the hole in the head. The rockers will align with the valves as long as they’re in the right sequence on the shafts. Some of the valves will open as you get the bolts tight and the pedestals contact the head. The last thing to connect is the oil line.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
After talking to Kevin on the phone, I got my confusion cleared up and now have both shafts installed torqued to 30 foot pounds on all four bolts and the two valve cover studs.

I installed a compression coupling on the 3/16 inch tube. I cut 1/8 inch off of the short piece with the captive feral in order to get a nice flat seat in the compression fitting. I installed that in first then stuck it through the hole and attached it to the long part from the oil pump. Then pushed it up and threaded the captive feral nut to the bronze oil tube

Now I guess I need to do a cold valve adjustment. I won't install the side cover or the spark plugs until everything's done.

I assume I'll be able to rotate the engine by turning the fan, hopefully.

At first I thought maybe I better turn it over and make sure that my oil tube repair works but I don't see any need for that since the entire rocker assembly was full of fresh oil and leaking out of the valve cover prior to disassembly, which obviously indicates that the oil tube was functioning as it should. It just wasn't getting enough oil up there to service the rear of the rocker shaft.

But correct me if I'm wrong if there is another passageway that oil makes it into the rocker shaft area. Doesn't look like there is.
Attachments
IMG_20260925_144851276.jpg (215.46 KB, 86 downloads)
IMG_20260925_150009197.jpg (186.3 KB, 86 downloads)
IMG_20260925_141938535.jpg (237.58 KB, 84 downloads)
IMG_20260925_105312479.jpg (237.85 KB, 90 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
You could pre-oil the rocker shafts by removing the distributor, noting the position of the rotor first, then using a big flat blade screwdriver and a 1/2" drill, turn the oil pump until you get oil out of the rocker bleed holes, then reinstall the distributor (don't turn the engine after removing the distributor.) Or you can just use a pump type oil can and squirt oil into each of the rocker bleed holes. The second method is way easier and will get enough oil to the rockers to protect them until oil reaches them thru that tube you repaired.
You're almost there. thumbs_up


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Yeah I already took some 50 weight oil and put it in all the Little rocker holes

Now I have to see if I even have feeler gauges that will work for the valve adjustment. Will a spark plug gauge work. I've got to look at those things and see if they even have the right tolerance


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
Not sure I understand this.

Why won't the rocker assemblies rest in the proper spot? How will the oil tube be damaged?

Looks like you've managed to get past the point I was trying to make. Glad you found your solutions and things are moving along.

As far as your question on if using a spark plug gauge will work, the answer is - not really. Even the smallest gap gauge used for setting plugs (that use round wire to check) is too big for valve adjustment settings. You should be able to easily find a flat feeler gauge at any local Flaps.

Even Harbor Freight has an inexpensive one that will suffice.


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Yes, I have some of the flat feeler gauges that would work within the ranges specified in the manual but I went over to Auto Zone anyway to pick up one of those angled kind.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
HRL set the clearance at 8 for intakes and 12 for exhaust on a cold initial adjustment on a rebuilt engine. Should I do the same thing on this well worn in engine?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I just finished adjusting the rocker arms. I used Jerry's suggestion in his video of 008 for the intake and 012 for the exhaust.

And of course I'm still nervous about what will happen when I start the truck up but it'll probably be okay.

My next course of action is to install the side cover and glue the valve cover gasket into position on the head.

Then I'll install the spark plugs wires rotor and whatever else I removed prior to starting it up and looking for leaks in the side cover.

I'll then get the vehicle to operating temperature and check all of the valve adjustments while hot. And set them according to the shop manual.

Does this sound like a proper plan?

I'm tempted to go through the engine again and recheck my work on the valves but I think I'm just being OCD.
Attachments
IMG_20260926_120308142.jpg (167.56 KB, 55 downloads)
IMG_20260926_120317538.jpg (115.11 KB, 53 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Only one set of rockers needed no adjustment. Number for was right on with 008 and 012


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
The engine side cover has a bead that runs directly down the center of the surface that the gasket lays on. That seems less than ideal to get a flat mating surface on the gasket.

What is the best installation method for this? I had intended on using permatex super 300 on both the valve cover and the side cover.

Should I glue the gasket to the first? And then should I install the side cover after the gasket dries in place? Or would it make more sense to glue the gasket to the cover?

I'm going to install the cork rings around the spark plug holes on the cover with gasket cement of whatever kind I end up using.

As for the valve cover, I intend to glue the stacked gasket to the Head and then just use thin coat of Grease on the valve cover itself where it mates with the gasket.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Glue the side cover to the block and the valve cover to the head. No sealant on the sheet metal. You can thank me later the next time you remove either cover.
If your side cover and valve cover have been checked for straightness on the engine with a feeler gauge without the gasket in place, you shouldn't have any leaks, and you will be able to remove the sheet metal without having to replace the gaskets.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I was wondering about the various valve adjustment methods, including the companion cylinder method.

On an engine that is already operating properly, wouldn't it be possible to just pull the valve cover off, feel around for whatever rocker arms have slack in them and adjust those 3 or 4 rockers? Then rotate the engine some random amount and adjust whichever ones have no tension on them. Keep a note on which ones you've done and stop after you hit them all.

If the rocker arm can be rattled by hand it means there's no tension on it and that its valve is closed, right? If so, it's ripe for adjustment.

Does this make sense? Is my thinking correct?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
If you’re going thru the trouble of adjusting a few, why not do them all. Using. Jerry’s Companion Cylinder Valve Adjustment method, you only rotate the engine once


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I've already adjusted them using the companion method. The engine rotates two revolutions with the companion method.

I was just asking if you could use the random opportunist method where you adjust 3 or 4 rockers that happen to be slack (which means their valves are closed) and then turn the engine a little bit more and do the next batch of slackers.

The outcome would be the same, right?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Okay now what? It was suggested, that I stack two valve cover gaskets together with super weather strip adhesive.

Now there aren't enough threads poking through the top of the valve cover to get the acorn nut and a washer on.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,466
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,466
Hope you haven't applied the adhesive yet.

I only use one glued down gasket on my (obviously different) GMC 228.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Ya, I did that last week. I should have stacked everything up dry but I didn't. Ordered another gasket a few minutes ago. It sucks because the truck is running great and much quieter and there aren't any leaks.

I just took it for a spin so now I'll check the adjustment hot.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Before and after.
Attachments
IMG_20260913_155402546.jpg (87.12 KB, 49 downloads)
IMG_20260927_135719965.jpg (152.87 KB, 47 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/27/2026 9:26 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Wow. Night and day difference in how quiet the engine runs without four rockers beating themselves to death due to lack of lubrication. There's still some clickety clack noises, but nothing like before. Having never heard another solid lifter 216 run, I don't know what's considered normal.

Now I can relax to the soothing sound of the transmission whine instead of the overpowering racket of valve clatter!

I can see the oil pipe dribbling out and there's a river of oil running down the passenger side of the head into the drain hole so I know my oil pipe coupling repair is working.

Maybe they still need a hot adjustment but I started that and decided to quit before I messed something up.

Good enough is good enough. Perfect is a pain in the arse.

Anyway, If I get around to posting the audio/video on YouTube, I'll post it so you all can tell me if more adjustment is needed.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 211
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 211
Otto you are a bit braver than I. Glad it all came together. Good feeling and nice looking.


1946 Chevy Truck 216 1/2 ton
"Tales from a weekend mechanic"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Yes, this caused me a lot of anxiety. I kept thinking if I made a mistake I'd bend a pushrod.

I started checking the hot adjustment but then I figured I'd better stop finger fiddling the rockers and leave well enough alone.

Perfect is the enemy of the good.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 211
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 211
I removed the head on my 1950 Farmall Cub a few years back. The old farmers said spray, tap every day for 2 weeks. They all came out ok but that first turn on each one was the thought of twisting the bolt and breaking the bolt but in the end they all came out and tractor still runs fine. The old head was cracked.

On my 46 some things I do enjoy doing but the thought of making things worse is in the back of my mind. But when it’s all done and working it gives one a great sense of accomplishment.


1946 Chevy Truck 216 1/2 ton
"Tales from a weekend mechanic"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
I can't believe how quiet this truck is, now. I just left the local Aldi and when I started it to leave I thought it stalled because I couldn't hear the racket I've grown accustomed to.

Anyway here are some videos that probably don't do it justice. I guess the old shoe phone audio/video quality isn't all that great.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbc2r82LkhM

This one with the cover off is pretty good.

www.youtube.com/shorts/9uwdVq6BTj8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scv4EwlfoII

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/29/2026 7:45 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,466
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,466
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
I guess the old shoe phone audio/video quality isn't all that good.

Maybe your truck is still real noisy, but you are under the cone of silence in the driver's seat.

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 09/29/2026 7:47 PM.

'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Sorry about that , Chief. Missed it by that much.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 15
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 15
Glad everything turned out good!

Now to see what fun awaits during a quick oil pan gasket replacement :-)

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
No kidding!

I've got a fuel pump issue with Der Bismarck so Ol' Roy is getting out of drydock as soon as the new valve cover gasket gets in. Oil pan will have to wait.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,827
Is the valve cover supposed to slightly overhang the pushrod cover ?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0