The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (baldeagle, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
Hello everyone.
This is not a rant or a complaint. Just an observation and bit of tale telling.

Seems that most of the time I do a modification to one of my trucks there is a ripple effect. Changing one thing requires changing something down stream. If you don't know, you don't know. You dont know the questions to ask. You just live and learn.


For example
Years ago. (05) I swapped power steering into a (66 F100) automatic truck. Direct bolt in, easy. NO.. Steering column is now 3 inches to long. Couldn't find a replacement so I had one cut down and modified. Fixed. NO. now I don't have a neutral safety switch and the shift indicator does not point to the correct position. I grew up driving a standard so I didn't even know there was such a thing as a neutral safety switch.

Currently. I am working through doing a T5 swap on my 56 3100. After the aforementioned power steering fiasco I do my research. Of course I can only research what I know I don't know.

So 3 years or so ago I purchased a T5 out of a 93/94 S10, at the time, I knew the electronic speedometer would not work with factory gauges but I would keep my eye out for an older tail housing with manual spedo. Bird in hand sort of thing. After a lengthy internal debate of Jeep input vs adapter plate I decided on the jeep input. I gather my parts and wait for the manual tail shaft to show up swap meet or salvage. I also continue to research.
Last weekend I found one in an 83 S10, bingo. I grab the tail housing, and drive gear with clip and the measurement from the end of the output shaft to the hole the drive gear pin sits in. (7 5/8 or 7 21/32). The speedometer cable was shot but I did get the bullet with driven gear. I am good to go minus speedometer cable. more research.
Luckily while doing research on what speedometer cable to get, I saw a reference to calculating drive and driven gears.
Somehow, in my research, I failed to note the importance of those two gears in the accuracy of the speedometer. It would have been a PITA to find out I had the wrong drive/driven gears after I installed my T5.

Thank you to everyone on the forums who ask questions and to those who share there experiences, knowledge, and opinions. Without the random mention of the drive/driven gears in a post about a speedometer cable I would have been wondering why my speedometer was inaccurate.


Rock49 aka C-Rodg
work in progress
1956 Chevy 3100
261 engine
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 214
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 214
Ditto.
If it wasn’t for ole interwebs help, it would be a lot more errors than trials.
Unless you have worked on or had knowledge of something, it’d be like touching something, then turning around and banging your head on a concrete wall while wondering what just happened.
I am also fortunate to have a gear head father and a professional mechanic/engine builder brother-n-law, but the knowledge of this forum is what’s saved my bacon a time or 2.


Chip

'Rusto-Mod'
'51 Chevy 3600 5 window | C4 Corvette front/rear suspension & drivetrain | everything else looks old and stock
'92 GMC Sonoma GT #15 of 806
'91 GMC Sonoma GT Extended cab 1 of 1
Trucks, Trucks.....and more Trucks
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
I do know what I don't know. That's why I never assume that I know more than the people who designed the vehicle.

If I have a problem, I read the manual.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,400
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,400
It always seems the more "Homework" you do the more you need to learn. At least here there's no such thing as a stupid question.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,383
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,383
I think that this forum in particular is very good at the " At least here there's no such thing as a stupid question." aspect of working on these trucks. I have asked several questions over the years that I suspect would have been riddiculed in some forums but here people provide helpful input and support. Well done one and all!


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
What I like is when an answer is over my head , there is usualy someone willing to break it down in a way can understand.


Rock49 aka C-Rodg
work in progress
1956 Chevy 3100
261 engine
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Thanks for the kind comments about the site. Glad to know it actually turned out well which I attribute to encouraging folks to be patient and share what we know. We all started out not knowing anything.

But I disagree about the dumb question. Way back in the day, when I was a Journalism Instructor, I told my students that there *was* such a thing as a dumb question but I doubted I'd ever hear it. I'm still waiting.

smile


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
John - I agree on the "dumb" question.

I define it as what comes from: "That is the wrong answer frown , how should I phrase my question so you give me the answer that I want?" wink

Jon


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Jon.... Concur. No question, asked in good faith, will be a "dumb" question.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Originally Posted by carbking
John - I agree on the "dumb" question.

I define it as what comes from: "That is the wrong answer frown , how should I phrase my question so you give me the answer that I want?" wink

Jon

Yep, yep, very true. I have learned that on the forums. Give details, be as specific as possible. Wait for signs.

grin

-Woog


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0