The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (msmall, GRNHydra, RaNfLaS, Shaffer's1950, Hotrod Lincoln), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,568
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7
I’m looking for thoughts on manual transmission gear oil. I have a 59 GMC with a four speed manual transmission. In looking on line I understand GL-4 oils should be used rather than G-5 to avoid corrosive aspects of certain GL-5 oils. One apparent popular gear oil is Sta Lube gear oil, which is available at my local NAPA but it seems pretty pricy at $75.99 a gallon.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=Sta%20lube%20&referer=v2

Does anyone have other less pricy recommendations? Thanks for your help and guidance.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,888
What does the shop manual call for? If it's the same as AD trucks, use 90 weight mineral oil for Ford tractor transmissions.

Available at Tractor Supply.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
I've been using 90w GL-3 in my '52 GMC with the same SM-420 transmission as your '59 for 45,000+ miles. No telling what was in it when I got it. Autozone has it for $11/qt.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 162
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 162
I use the “Travelers” Brand for ford tractor transmissions available at Tractor Supply and it is reasonably priced. Same as previously mentioned. Sta-Lube is too pricey. I have used it also in the past, so I believe it is a good product but the other is easier on my wallet. I believe it is sold in 2 gallon containers. Just don’t tell your GM products what is is made for and they won’t know the difference.


I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
I use NAPA Sae Mineral Gear oil 90W. Sells for $56.99 / gal.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,991
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,991
Go to the Valvoline site, manual transmission lube.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7
Wow, thanks for all of these suggestions. I’ll see which one is easiest to get locally. This is very helpful and much appreciated.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7
FYI, I ended up going with the “Travelers” brand from Tractor Supply. It was available locally and priced well. So far so good. Thanks again for all of the great suggestions! Much appreciated!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0