1956 Chevy 3100: I have searched high and low for the shaft keeper for this master cylinder. I thought I was being diligent in bagging and labeling everything I had removed, but this keeper has gone missing. What type of keeper slides into the groove on one side but is rounded (no groove) on the opposite side of this brake pedal shaft? Tried to find it in LMC but no luck. Would a regular hardware store like ACE have it?
Scratch that last reply I posted. I realize now that what I am looking for is more like a small plate that attaches to the side of the master cylinder frame and fits into the groove holdig it in place and not turning like you said 78buckshot. Thanks for making me think.
Hawkman - In case your still hunting for the part, below is a screenshot form a 1955-59 Chevy Truck FAM with the item you need circled. The 1957 Chevy Master Parts Book lists it as Group# 4.634, GM# 3712797 - Retainer, brake pedal shaft (1 hole 11/32 dia.), which is the retaining bolt hole for the plate.
Using the diagram and measurements from your setup, perhaps you can fabricate a replacement from some flat stock?
Hope this might be of some help.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
As always Gdads51, this is a great help. I fabricated one today based on this information. I know when I have completed restoring my '56 the original part will turn up out of thin air, lol. Oh well, I'll have a backup then. BTW, the diagram was great, too, showing me where the pedal spring attaches.
Glad as always to be of help sir! Looking forward to your next question as it may pop up.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)