So on my 36 jimmy I had the body work done and the doors seemed to fit and close ok. The painter came and got the truck and the parts I wanted painted and a couple months later he brings all the stiff back painted, it looks great. So i proceed to assemble everything and when I'm done I notice the doors bind just as they start to latch. The doors are rubbing on the Sheetmetal just below the hinge. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment on the hinges. See pictures. It looks like the painter molded in the front corner of the cab and the spacer plate that attaches to the floor board. Anybody have an idea how to fix this without a bunch of surgery.
Last edited by Gdads51; 07/08/202611:41 PM. Reason: add detail to title
There are rubber bumpers on the '37 Chevrolets that keep the door frame from hitting the body pillars. They are fairly thin and fit the front of the door frame by the hinges. As for hitting in the lower rear, about all you can do is lift the door and try to slightly bend the sheet metal at the hinge location. I used a floor jack and foam pads to try and tweak the hinges. Even where everything is right, there is very little room around the door, and once you get all your seals in place, the door won't want to close again.
The problem seems to be the sheet metal corner below the hinge. It looks like he maybe spot welded it to the pillar and then put body filler over it to smooth it out. That corner needs to be pushed it towards the frame to give it more room. I guess I will have to remove the door and sand down the paint to see what he did and then figure out how to fix it. I will look and see if I might have those rubber pieces in one of my parts boxes. I might be able to tweak the top of the doors to give them a little more clearance.
Dry fitting my 37 Chevy, the three screws at the wood block on each side of cab rails allowed for a bit of movement to spread. If both ends of the lower sill have been spot welded, it’s an issue. It originally was not. I had to tweak my hinges a bit to get The door to sit square in the hole, but it does not sound like this is your problem unless the top front has a large gap.
Last edited by 37 GC; 07/17/202610:39 PM.
Larry Old man᠁Old truck᠁neither one goes very fast. All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY. If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.
curious, what did your do for the hinge mount door pillar, still wood or metal? could that have shifted in any way if you did a cab off paint job?
Larry Old man᠁Old truck᠁neither one goes very fast. All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY. If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.