Just looking for any tips on setting timing on a 235 with 216 bellhousing. I have my flywheel marked and it has the BB, but I cannot see the BB when using my timing light. I have the inductive pickup on the #1 spark plug wire. Not sure why I cannot see the BB? So, I set the timing by sound - about where I can hear the engine run the best. Not sure that's good enough.
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine Here We Go Follow in his DITY Bay
- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
It doesn't take your initial timing to be off by much to be unable to see the BB. No need to disconnect the vacuum advance, as it's not operating at idle speed. It's connected to a ported vacuum port that is blocked at idle. Loosen the clamp screw on the distributor and move it until you see the BB. Then tighten it.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Also, centrifugal advance starts really low in these distributors. Make sure you end up setting the timing at 400 rpm (or less!).
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
OK - I was finally able to find the BB. I just needed to turn the distributor a little more. It took me a few tries to get it on the pointer, but it is good now. Thanks for everyone's help!
~ John in Utah 1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine Here We Go Follow in his DITY Bay
- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!