The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (‘37ChevyPU, Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, CuzzFuzz, Shaffer's1950, SlimSix, TrknGMC, 1 invisible), 81 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,451
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
So I'm reinstalling the front clip and got to the point of adjusting the hood latch. I installed the latch loosely and closed the hood. Now it won't open. I'm guessing the bolts were TOO lose as when I pull the lever, the whole thing seems to move and the latch won't unlatch.

I've tried searching, but have come up blank, just Carl's mention that the service manual says if the screws are too tight, it won't be possible to open the hood.

I tried a PM to Carl, but his PM box is full, so I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the whole Stovebolt collective. cantlook

Carl (or anyone else) got any ideas?

Last edited by klhansen; 05/19/2026 12:21 AM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
My hood was not centered to the latch and that happened to me and panic set in .I was able to push the hood to one side to release it. If you can look from the grill spaces maybe you can see were it is catching and with a extra set of hands to hold the latch open as far as it can go and someone to push the hood in the right direction to have it let go .Mine is a little different being a gmc .


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
No, I followed that and when I got to the part about installing the latch loosely and closing the hood on it.

Kevinski, thanks for the suggestion. I may have to call for some physical help. I think the hood may be just a smidgen too far forward. I might be able to push the latch pin back with a stick, but will need to have a second set of hands to do that.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Also can you get a small screw driver in between to loosen the hood pin


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
I doubt I can loosen the hood pin, as I can barely get my hand thru the grille bar spaces. Besides that, there's a jam nut on it.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
I have never had this happen to me yet, but see if you can have someone push downward on the hood while you jiggle the release handle every which way with vigor.
Find a large assistant as you will be trying to compress the rubber bumpers under the hood nose so that there will be wiggle room for the latch to move and maybe release.
If that doesn't work, remove the bolts, rubber pad and shims from under the radiator support.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Thanks for the suggestion Carl, but I doubt that jiggling the release handle will be successful, no matter how vigorously.

What would be gained by removing he radiator support bolts from under the radiator support? The nuts aren't on them yet.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
OK, Got it open. PHWEW!

Had a friend come over and he pulled on the latch while I used a 1x2 board thru the grille to push the latch pin rearward. Turns out it was a self inflicted wound, as I had the safety catch hanging up a little, so I shortened up the firewall to inner fender rods one turn of the nut. DON'T DO THAT! nono It made the latch pin catch on the sheet metal below the latch plate itself, which needed a bit of dremel work to relieve it. It stuck again, and we were able to use the same method to get it open again. THEN I adjusted the rods back to spec and all was well.


Thanks all for the support.

The truck is running, but with a few items yet to check, including valve lash setting, final timing, and checking the battery charge (doesn't seem to be charging - shows slight discharge on the ammeter. Probably either generator, which I rebuilt or the voltage regulator.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
Scary moment I bet. Glad it all worked out for you! Won’t be long now! drive


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Originally Posted by Phak1
Scary moment I bet. Glad it all worked out for you! Won’t be long now! drive
Yeah, the pucker factor was pretty high, envisioning which fully restored part to sacrifice. eek
The relief factor was pretty high as well when we were able to pop the hood open. nanner

Took a test drive yesterday evening (about 5 miles) and discovered that the generator isn't charging the battery, so adding a few things to the list.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
Lightly pass a piece of 1500 grit sandpaper a few times over the contact points on the VR. See if it starts charging after that.

Contact points probably got corroded while sitting around doing nothing for so long.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0