The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (DadsFirstPickup, wilbur53, Bill Hanlon), 144 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,437
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 61
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 61
I noticed that some of the support wood that goes between the frame and the stake bed on my 3600 stake bed is showing some rot. Does anyone know/recommend what kind of wood should be used for that? Are there templates anywhere for cutting the sloping ends or should I just trace the gap on paper and use a band saw to cut them. Any advice would be welcome. I have attached some photos of what I am talking about.
Attachments
IMG_8620.jpeg (255.19 KB, 78 downloads)
IMG_8621.jpeg (464.56 KB, 78 downloads)
IMG_8622.jpeg (360.49 KB, 79 downloads)
IMG_8619.jpeg (392.42 KB, 62 downloads)
IMG_8624.jpeg (400.4 KB, 62 downloads)

Last edited by Woodcmiami; 05/04/2026 11:37 PM.

Chris


G.O.T. (Good Ol' Truck), 1953 Chevy 3609 AD 3/4 ton with original 216 c.i. engine, 4 speed transmission, stake bed
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 119
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 119
My thinking would be to use either red oak or white oak. After cutting to shape, I would think several applications of linseed oil would be helpful. Or, if appearance is not critical, used motor oil would help to waterproof the wood.

Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
Post oak, then white oak would be my preference.

RonR


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,659
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,659
I just have the smaller wood blocks on my '46 and I used a few coats for Spar Urethane.


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0