The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Shof, Ponchogl, Jon G), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1603057 05/03/2026 6:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
Twenty years ago when I built my first truck I seem to recall that there was a way of morphing a regular AD fender into one that would accommodate a spare tire. A section could be cut out, turned over, and welded in place. This was done using a specific pattern in a precise location. I don't like carrying a spare under the bed, so would like to try this. Where can I find the pattern and instructions?

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
I remember seeing a YouTube series on doing just that. LINK I didn't watch all the videos - not sure this will help?

Last edited by UtahYork; 05/03/2026 11:39 PM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
Good link. I watched all the videos, but he cut out the concavity from an old fender and welded it into a new one. If I had the old fender, I would just repair it and use it. I may be mis-remembering the concept of cutting the convex brow of a new fender, inverting it, and re-installing it as a concavity.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
How about this one in our Tech Tips section. LINK


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
It might be a good idea to make the template out of some type of heavy cloth like denim instead of paper- - - -it would probably conform to the shape of the fender better, especially if you wet it down first.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
Attention moderator---the tip by Ray Stanley (2005) is just what I need, but several photos referenced in the text do not appear, and the photo of the template on the fender isn't clear enough to make out the dimensions

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
I can see these - hope this helps.
Attachments
Chevy Truck Spare 1.jpg (30.04 KB, 85 downloads)
Chevy Truck Spare 2.jpg (28.3 KB, 85 downloads)
Chevy Truck Spare 3.jpg (13.9 KB, 85 downloads)
Chevy Truck Spare 4.jpg (21.44 KB, 85 downloads)
Chevy Truck Spare 5.jpg (16.98 KB, 85 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 05/06/2026 2:44 AM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,874
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,874
Here a screenshot of the last overall picture to complete the set posted by John above. wink
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2025
Posts: 66
Thank you, gentlemen. Just what I needed


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0